Is clip pedals a good thing for MTB-ing?

DCbiker
DCbiker Posts: 29
edited September 2010 in MTB beginners
I just switched over from conventional pedals to crankbrothers eggbeater3 pedals. I have only used those for about four rides and it is tough using those on my bike as I jump over fallen tree logs, blast over tree roots and rocky paths. When I am going uphill and happen to stumble over a pothole, I am not able to release in time so therefore I fall down. When there is a tight twist (keep in mind I usually visit new singleback trails so I am not familiar with the trails to the point where I know when to release, etc). Often times, in mountain biking magazines, I see that riders use a small, but (clipless) flat pedal, the other half uses clips like the eggbeaters.

For extreme singleback trails (the technical ones), is it not a smart thing to use clip pedals so we can use our legs in landings and difficult situations as well as maintain better balance especially when crossing narrow bridges (e.g., 6" narrow) over water and ditches?

What are your thoughts/take on this?
2010 Felt Z4
2009 Spark 60

Comments

• t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    it varies from one rider to the next and seems largely a matter of opinion with lots of facts to back up either point of view.

personal preference ultimately
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • The Argument is massive

For me - my choice is The SPD's with multi release cleats. They just offer me so much more control than flats
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp 2009.
  • neddie
    neddie Posts: 101
    BIG question !

i'm just getting back into mtbing used to ride with toe straps !! thought i i ever wanted was clip ins first ride down some single track and rockey accents told me other wise gonna stick with flats for the time being

I have seen shimano pedals with spds on one side and flat pedal on t'other which might be a way forward
    Boardman Comp.

Norco Fluid
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    neddie wrote:
    BIG question !

i'm just getting back into mtbing used to ride with toe straps !! thought i i ever wanted was clip ins first ride down some single track and rockey accents told me other wise gonna stick with flats for the time being

I have seen shimano pedals with spds on one side and flat pedal on t'other which might be a way forward

They aren't, the flat bit has next to no grip and you can only clip in on one side if you lose your foot, they are nice for Hybrids, but not for MTB's.

I've got them on my road bike/commuter, and my old Hardrock only cause I got 'em free.

I prefer riding in SPD's for everything apart from really techie bits with jumps ect, as I like being able to dab a foot down when neccesary.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • i ride with spd's, but with the cage device around them- i would definitely recommend these as a change over pedal, because of the added support on the foot.

However, i wouldn't worry too much about falling off after not being able to release, im sure this happens to everyone on their first few rides! however, stick with them and im sure you'll see the added benefits in acceleration and climbing. i also find they're great when descending- you have so much control over the back of the bike as well as the front, i've been able to pick faster lines.

sure, its down to personal preference and some people just dont like them, but stick with them for a while, and i reckon you'll come to love them :)
    Specialized Stumpjumper HT
    Giant Defy
  • I have just the thing for the OP: Zefal MT45 toe cups. Just enough retention to stop your feet slipping off on the bumpy bits and instant, foolproof release when you spill. Completely impervious to mud, sand, etc. and almost indestructible. £6 a pair.

Review: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... s-10-35398

1257941674898-1tnmzoqhwu8r-399-75.jpg
  • just keep trying them when you get used to them you wont ride with out them. you get so much more power on the hills your foot never slips of the pedal and i find the fact that it takes a little longer to get your foot of the pedal it makes me try to ride over the problem insted of puting my foot down and stoping. by the way i fell off 9 times first time out on them (all of them at 0 mph forgot to turn my foot when stoped :oops: )
    if i had my time again would i take the time to make the right choices

naa thats no fun
  • neddie
    neddie Posts: 101
    They aren't, the flat bit has next to no grip and you can only clip in on one side if you lose your foot, they are nice for Hybrids, but not for MTB's.

HMM looks like ill have to bite the bullet and fall off a few times

Should that be bite the dirt ? :?
    Boardman Comp.

Norco Fluid
  • your SPDs should be adjustable. Fiddle round with them until they release really easily.
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    your SPDs should be adjustable. Fiddle round with them until they release really easily.

You can also get cleats that release upwards too. They do come loose a bit more frequently, but you can yank your feet out faster in a hurry.
  • crank brothers pedals do take a little time to bed in as the hard edge of the cleat is worn away slightly and will get easier to unclip over time. I like them.

The main advantage I can see (for me) of clippless pedals over flats is the tread. The most frequently recommended shoes for flat pedals all seem to have a very low profile tread which looks less grippy should you need to put your foot down on something slippery (mud for example) if like me, you have poor bike handling skills.

Sure I could ride in hiking boots but then I lose the grippy contact with the pedals (because the bottom of my boots are now covered in mud)

YMMV
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    tiny_pens
    I used to use MG1 flats with Karrimor trail shoes. Plenty of grip on and off the bike.

The plastic soles of my SPD shoes are lethal on wet wooden stiles and gates, the rubber of the walking shoes was much better.

But for riding I prefer SPDs, it's personal preference, and one isn't absolutely better than the other. But for me, SPDs give me more control, and they're shimano so I've set the tension pretty low which means I can clip out really easily.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."