holes in rim on braking surface?

salsajake
salsajake Posts: 702
edited September 2010 in Commuting general
front wheel has started juddering - 2 holes, about 3mm across have appeared on brake surface, bontrager race light wheels (probably about 5 years old). Are these to tell me I need to bin them as they are worn? They are gauging chunks out of my brake blocks!

Comments

• weedy1
    weedy1 Posts: 143
    Yes bin the wheels NOW. Don't ride on them if you value your face. By your description the rims have been worn down by the brake blocks 'till holes have been worn in them. If they are that thin in places you risk complete failure.
  • sorry, should have been more specific. These holes are drill holes, not worn through! Evans told me when I popped in just that the holes are always there and when they disappear they need replacing, but that can't be right as the rear has no hole visible in it and I have never noticed them before, also if they were there all the time, the brakes would always have juddered and they would always have gauged my brake blocks. They aren't the best wheelset anyway but I need more time to save for something better so I hope they aren't toast!
  • rhann
    rhann Posts: 383
    got a picture?
  • no can do. The holes are opposite each other, slightly offset from where the valve hole is. They are right in the middle of the braking surface. They are perfect circles but full of brake pad scrapings, so I don't know if they go all the way through, will try poking them with something sharp when I get home. If they go through, then presumably they are drilled from the inside out, which would suggest that they are intended to be exposed when worn. If they don't, then maybe I just haven't noticed them before, but maybe they have got stuffed up with a particularly solid bit of brake pad which is now rubbing. Can't imagine the latter being the case though
  • rhann
    the only thing I can think of is that they are there to tell you when the brake surface is worn out and that is the time to replace, ask at your lbs just a pic of 1 side will do. Someone on here would know for certain once they can see.
  • rhann
    also what size hole is it? and could your brake pads be worn.
  • 3mm ish holes as per my OP and the blocks are fairly worn now, but still have material so its not like the block holders are scraping on the rim.