Help pls...Biarritz - Santander

hugh1982
hugh1982 Posts: 40
edited September 2010 in Tour & expedition
Heading to Southern France in a couple of weeks' time and looking for an interesting route from Biarritz to Santander.

We have four and a half days to do the 180 miles or so but we're keen to avoid busy roads if at all possible. We'll be laden with panniers so very hilly routes might be a struggle, although might be worth giving them a crack if they're spectacular.

Anyone got any advice on routes they'd recommend/avoid?

Comments

• MrBlond
    MrBlond Posts: 161
    Did this last summer in the other direction - Santander - Donostia is hilly whichever way you do it. Memory is a little hazy, but PM me and I can dig out some gpx files of the route we took if that helps
  • Hi
    I was the support driver for this exact route this year and cycled a lot of it myself. I can e mail you with gpx files and discuss other info.
    Dont miss staying in San Sebastian
    Bilbao is a nightmare, the coast road is incredibly hilly from Bilbao with plenty of 14% climbs to Castro Urdiales but eases after that.

Peter
  • That would be brilliant - we're actually cycling down from La Rochelle but most of the French route seems easy to plan. It's when we begin to head west that i really have no clue. The only common them i seem to be hearing is that Bilbao is a bit of a nightmare and is thus best avoided. i'll pm with my email address
  • I wouldn't miss out Bilbao. After coming round the coast from the east approach Bilbao from Sopelana (camping here). The route is mostly on cycleways passing Getxo and the transporter bridge at Portugalete - see route. You should visit the Guggenheim Museum if you have time and follow the river round to the bridge by the railway stations and cross river to the historic quarter. Return to transporter bridge and cross to Santurtzi. You can then exit Bilbao through Muskiz on BI 644/N634 from the ferry port. My route from Santander to Bilbao here.

Have a look at the photos on this spanish report of a 4 cities tour. You can see the route from San Sebastian to Bilbao they took.
    The more you spend - the faster you go - the less you see.