Go West - Calling Bath SCR'rs

Citizen Smith
Citizen Smith Posts: 336
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
So my wife and I after some time talking about it, have decided to finally leave the Big Smoke and move to Bath. She applied successfully for a job down there in the past few weeks and it starts in November so we need to get a shift on....going to get our place on the market pronto and then look to rent initially in Bath but also look at what's on the market to buy in parallel.

Just wanted to reach out to those down Bath way (Roastie, Running Man...et al) to get the lowdown. My wife knows Bath fairly well as she went to uni there but that was over a decade ago. We are looking to live probably North/East of the city centre as I want access to the M4 to head to Reading though I'm also plotting to integrate some riding into the commute either from Home>Bath Station or Home>Chippenham Station.

I think ideally we want to live within walking distance to the town centre but are also not discounting living just outside in places like Bathampton, Box, etc.

Most of the places we have looked at have been in Camden, Larkhall, Fairfield Park and would be interested in opinions on these areas as well as other places too....

Once I am in situ....look forward to perhaps arranging a Bath Social Club or indeed popping over to see how these Brizzle socials go down!

It's funny, now that we have made the decision, I am already starting to miss my London SCR so just savouring it now while I can! Perhaps some leaving drinks down the MA may been in order....
"Come at the king, you best not miss." - Omar, The Wire

FCN 4: Willier Izoard XP
FCN 7: GT Legato 4.0

*GAME* competitor

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Good luck, Sir. It's a nice bit of the world :)

A trip to the spiritual home of SCR would go down a treat*

* although saying that I can't do the next two weeks
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    You jammy bugger!

Proper hills down that way, mind.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • I think ideally we want to live within walking distance to the town centre but are also not discounting living just outside in places like Bathampton, Box, etc.
    Bathampton->Bath is a nice easy ride (canal towpath).
    If you end up in Box (which is a nice place) its a bit of a toss up from a commuting perspective whether to ride to Bath or to Chippenham. Ride to Bath is probably flatter.
    Most of the places we have looked at have been in Camden, Larkhall, Fairfield Park and would be interested in opinions on these areas as well as other places too....

Once I am in situ....look forward to perhaps arranging a Bath Social Club or indeed popping over to see how these Brizzle socials go down!
    Those are all decent locations and none of them are more than 20mins walk from the city although I hope you know how to ride a bike uphill for some of them. ;)

Would be good to set up a Bath social. I keep meaning to do it but I'm just too disorganised. It would be nice to have someone to ride back to Bath with from the Bristol socials as well. :)

Mike
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    The flats in Snow Hill are the classy places to live :lol: They have the only block of flats with a lift in the city.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Lovely bit of the world. I was a student at Bath, lots of friends still there I visit it often :) Be sure to let us know if you do set something up!
  • zanes
    zanes Posts: 563
    I'd watch Bath Uni, some right dodgy characters there.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Beware of the Bendy buses, though if coming from London you're aware of the dangers of these though they only run from the bus station to the Uni at the Globe Roundabout, not around town.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • ris
    ris Posts: 392
    mudcovered wrote:
    Bathampton->Bath is a nice easy ride (canal towpath).
    If you end up in Box (which is a nice place) its a bit of a toss up from a commuting perspective whether to ride to Bath or to Chippenham. Ride to Bath is probably flatter.

i can confirm that the bit from box to bath is flat, unless you choose to do something silly like ride over kingsdown/doctors hill way toward bathford. quieter but rather lumpy.

box to chippers has one nice big lump which isn't massively steep but does go on a bit. there are other routes but they don't really reduce the lumpiness.

i am frequently to be found bimbling along the a4 from chippers to batheaston. if the bath social scene works out then i'd be interested in showing my face.

i hope you enjoy the move to the provinces!