What lights for....?

leighz
leighz Posts: 175
edited September 2010 in Road buying advice
riding through winter in the evenings?

was caught out coming back last night and I really needed lights - as witnessed by the bloke who walked straight out in front of me (headphones on, eating burger/sarnie/whatever - utterly oblivious) just glad it wasn't a car

need lights that will work on dark country lanes as well as lit city roads

cheers

Comments

• Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • leighz
    700 notes :shock:

that's more than my bike. Probably
  • No, £825
    Say... That's a nice bike..
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    edited September 2010
    Serously though what is your budget? I've had 5W+10W halogens and they're fine for unlit country lit roads, although 5W+15W is better especially if it's a foggy night. Currently have Hope Vision 4, it's brill. I've wasted money on cheaper Halogens in the past (Electron, laseredge) so decided to get something decent. Hope Vision 2 should be fine too.
  • leighz
    brilliant

ta
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    I have Exposure Diablo- hugely bright, excellent quality, 24 hrs battery life on flashing, good mounting.

Best part of £200 though :shock:

http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/21 ... light.html

Of course, you can buy cheap lights using the same LED but according to some users they are not waterproof, the chargers can catch fire, and they are not good quality.

So you pays your money...........
  • yeah you don't want the set to have some cheap lithium batteries, you really don't want to see how they go up in flames.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    yeah you don't want the set to have some cheap lithium batteries, you really don't want to see how they go up in flames.
    Yes, like the cheap ones in Sony and Dell laptops!

You buy protected cells and observe sensible precautions as with all lithium batteries.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    alfablue wrote:

alfablue - would you recommend this for occasional use on unlit rural roads and very flat non-technical bridleways?
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    Check the posts on here - top topic of discussion, recent ones too as the nights draw in.
    Choice is hugely down to how much you can / want to spend.
    Hope
    Lumicycle
    Exposure
    Light & Motion
    Dealextreme (and the like) for high power LEDs

etc

Real good ones, ie unlit roads for 20+Mph, are £50 minimum (the DX ones for example) upwards to £x00's
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    P7 SSC from dealextreme - about £35 for lights, mounting, batteries and charger. 900 lumens (claimed), but definitely VERY bright. Many MTBers have these, along with a second more focussed light on their lid - bright enough for high speed off-road in the pitch dark.

See this thread (which links to 'What Lights' on the MTB forum)

You may want to get some additional info on how water resistant these are (if you commute, or plan to ride in heavy rain), and you need to consider burn time... my P7 will run 60mins on HIGH, which is enough for me - and I carry a spare battery just in case. Also check out the Magicshine lights - these are as bright, but use a battery pack (4x18650s?) which gives a longer burn time. I couple of my mates have these, and they seem very good.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I have a generator front wheels and B&M lights.

The commuter bike has a Shimano front wheel and a B&M IQ Fly light
    The audax bike has a Schmidt front wheel and a B&M Cyo light

Generator wheels usually work out more expensive than the equivalent battery powered lights but have obvious advantages.

B&M do a battery powered version of the Cyo called an Ixon, which people tell me is very good
  • bartimaeus
    Magicshine UK - £80 (GBP)

Magicshine from DX - $80 (USD)
  • leighz
    budget - ideally not more than £50.

needs to run for two hours and include some 20mph+ downhills in proper darkness. But can curtail such hoonery over winter

will sift through the mtb threads
  • bartimaeus
    A Magicshine from DX should suit as this will give you 3hrs or so of P7 brighness for £50.

A multimode P7 torch (which is what I have, along with a C1) with a HiGH/MED/LOW might also do you and that will cost you £35 in total. You won't get 2hrs on HIGH from one 18650 cell, but you don't really need HIGH all the time... and you can carry a spare battery. I have a HIGH/LOW only P7, and I would say the LOW is a bit dim as a main light to see with.

Any P7 is plenty bright enough for 20mph in darkness... especially on a road :D. Does me for 20mph downhill singletrack through the woods in total darkness, and was plenty bright enough to cycle 10 miles home on the roads last night.

Have a read of the threads... sounds like a P7 based light is just what you need if you want lots of light for £50. I'm not sure how many roadies use these, but they are very popular indeed with the MTBers.
  • leighz wrote:
    budget - ideally not more than £50.

needs to run for two hours and include some 20mph+ downhills in proper darkness. But can curtail such hoonery over winter

will sift through the mtb threads

See above - $80 = £52.

I have this light and it is superb. 20mph plus, holds fast, rocky tooty, it's your man. Get it, get the $13 torch as well for your helmet. Perfect set up.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    The Lumenjunkies MTE P7 works out at:

Light £26.99
    Trustfire Charger £9.49
    2 protected 18650 cells £6.79
    Handlebar mount £3.39

Total: £46.66 (and that is including one spare cell).

Whilst the same is cheaper from Dealextreme, they can take 3-4 weeks to deliver and also warranty issues will be easier with a UK seller.

Here is a review

http://www.mtbbritain.co.uk/mountain_bi ... w_led.html
  • bartimaeus
    If you go for an MTE P7 then I would get this DX mount... it's the best mount IMHO and it is only $2.81 USD (and I have this one, as well as both the ones on Lumenjunkies).

Even if you get the lights and chargers from the UK, I'd get the accessories from DX.