Knocked off this morning.

georgee
georgee Posts: 537
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
I was hit by a van turning left thismorning at the junction of Brompton Road and Thurloe Place, I was turning right at the lights, he turned left.

I never saw him indicate, neither did any of the witnesses, but he did stop. I managed the greatest dismount you’ve ever seen and I’m pretty sure I would have got straight 6.0’s from all the judges. As the bike was being pushed sideways I managed to unclip and was thrown over the top tube to land on my feet running out across the junctions (you try that in Look cleats!).

I admit I was distracted by some burd jumping the lights on a boris bike but given the van driver (short man syndrome) got shirty when I said I wasn’t sure if he was. He told me that lane is left turning only and even asked me to accompany him around the corner to see the road markings. Yes, a right arrow in the right lane and a left OR right arrow in the left lane. Still poor presumption by me of his intentions I was just miffed by his attitude (as were the two witnesses). Especially given he was motoring like a weapon for the prior 2k he had been in my sights.

A tip for everyone, do not fill in the poll about being a better than average cyclist, it just took its revenge on me.

G

Comments

• just glad you're OK.

Chalk it to experience and count your blessings
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • Blimey, sounds dramatic!

Are you quite sure you're OK? You took witness and driver details, right?
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Glad you're OK.

I've done one of those funky flukey dismounts too. I ended up running down the road as my bike cartwheeled behind me.
    Dunno how I did it and doubt I'll ever do it again. Just wish I had it on video.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Glad to hear you're OK
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • georgee
    Trust me i'm fine, I know the dangers of riding off and then finding your missing a limb but the damage was just a bruised shin.

Really was nothing more I could have done and no need to get the witness details as neither saw the accident in decent detail to prove my theory I was in the right (I am happy to admit this whole thing could have been my fault).

In my view the accident was caused by the girl on a borris bike jumping the lights and distracting me with rage. (see the danger of RLJ'ing?)
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Girl on the Boris Bike was fit, wasn't she?

Go on, you can tell us!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Nice landing, glad you are ok.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    georgee wrote:
    In my view the accident was caused by the girl on a borris bike jumping the lights and distracting me with rage. (see the danger of RLJ'ing?)

Ah, but if you too had RLJ'd you would have been well ahead of the unobservant driver?

(Glad you're okay)
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    oi don't start that cr@p in this thread jds_1981

Glad you're ok Georgee, is the bike ok?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    Skillz, Georgee!

Hope your heart rate has sufficiently recovered from the fright and, as posted, your bike's OK too . . .
  • sorry dude - swedish judge came back with a 5.3
    said something about you had to bend your knees to much when landing?

Glad you're okay and bike too.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • georgee wrote:
    He told me that lane is left turning only and even asked me to accompany him around the corner to see the road markings. Yes, a right arrow in the right lane and a left OR right arrow in the left lane.

By your description of the arrows the left lane was not left turn only as you say it had both left and right arrows. Did the driver pull up to your right, or did you pull up to his left? If it was the former then the incident was purely the driver's fault. If it's the latter you might not have gone to his inside if you saw his indicators, but there is too much reliance on others indicating correctly.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • georgee
    Sirius631 wrote:
    georgee wrote:
    He told me that lane is left turning only and even asked me to accompany him around the corner to see the road markings. Yes, a right arrow in the right lane and a left OR right arrow in the left lane.

By your description of the arrows the left lane was not left turn only as you say it had both left and right arrows. Did the driver pull up to your right, or did you pull up to his left? If it was the former then the incident was purely the driver's fault. If it's the latter you might not have gone to his inside if you saw his indicators, but there is too much reliance on others indicating correctly.

I think I went up his inside as I never saw him indicate. In reality it was silly to assume anything but him turning left.

The bike was fine except the brake lever knocked downwards, with that fixed my bar tape (my best effort to date) now looks a little ropey.