700c Commuting Wheels

dav_safc
dav_safc Posts: 59
edited September 2010 in The workshop
Had a pair of 9 spd Mirage hubs with Open Pro rims on my workhorse commuter bike. The rear rim now been written off by by my LBS. I suspect the hubs are goosed as well. So I need to fork out some wonga on some new hoops. Even if they were available, I am not convinced by the longevity of Askiums or similar. I am hoping to commute well into the autumn and the roads of Northumberland are pretty rough. Anyone ideas where to go?
The rest of the 9 spd Campag stuff will have to stay.
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Been on Aksiums for ~1 year and all good so far on the mean streets of London. Got them on sale for £100, which shaped my choice somewhat
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • markp2
    markp2 Posts: 162
    Cheap winter wheels for about £50. I got mine from Wooly Hat Shop and they have been fine for around 3000miles of winter commuting. Just loosen, grease liberally and reset the bearings first. The far eastern producers always seem rather mean with the grease.
    Genesis Croix de Fer - my new commuting mount
    Saracen Hytrail - the workhorse - now pensioned off
    Kinetic-One FK1 roadie - the fast one - hairy legs though!
    Cannondale Jekyll Lefty MTB - the muddy one which keeps tipping me into gorse bushes!
  • If the hub is fine replace with the heavier open sport rim. It also has a wear indicator. Open Pro rims are built to be light really, the open sport are more commute / everyday rims.
  • As recommended by my LBS I have a pair of Blackjack R1780s. They reckon they are a good bet for the rough roads of Northumberland. Only time will tell.
    The original Campag hubs were about 7 years old so I reckon putting them together with some new Open Sport rims was not really a viable option.