Commuting teething...

aldric
aldric Posts: 161
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
I have just started commuting to work on my Forcus Mares Comp which has a compact chainset 50/34. I am a bit confused by those numbers but even on the lowest gear I find it a lot of effort going up some hills (not very steep really).

I take it that this more down to me than the chainset? Hopefully I will improve, unfortuantely my biggest hill is just before I get home after 10 miles.

Shoulder / neck pain. I have very small, lightweight rucksack that I am using as I haven't got any paniers yet (not sure I will). Tonight I have a pretty sore neck, top of shoulder blades dead centre. Is that from the rucksack or just getting used to the riding postion? Is there anyhing I can do to help this?

Ta for any advice,
Aldric

Comments

• mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    Hi Aldric, welcome to the club.

50/34 is about as low (or easy) as it gets on the front. What are you running on the back?

Of course it all depends on your level of fitness, amount of cycling experience and of course where you ride so give us a bit more detail.

as LA said, it never gets easier, you just go faster...
    FCN = 4
  • aldric
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    Hi Aldric, welcome to the club.

50/34 is about as low (or easy) as it gets on the front. What are you running on the back?

Of course it all depends on your level of fitness, amount of cycling experience and of course where you ride so give us a bit more detail.

as LA said, it never gets easier, you just go faster...

Ah sorry, forgot to mention that.. :oops:

"the 50/34 chain ring combination matched to a wide ratio 11-25 cassette provide you with the perfect range of gears to get up and down hills or over most obstacles."

As easy as it gets? hmmm.. it certainly starts out easy in the morning but after the commute, 10 hours at work the hill on the way home is a bit of a hassle!!

I am fairly unfit to be fair. It took me 40 mins to do 11 miles in the morning but 50 minutes for the return journey, mainly due to the inclines..

Maybe I should get a cheap computer to give me some incentive.. I don't run out of breath and my HR doesn't seem to be that high.. its just a lack of power / strength in my legs.

That will build up over time I hope.
  • I started commuting, about the same distance as you, about the same time last year, on a tourer.

It's hard until the other side of winter, but hell, whilst all the other cyclists are comming out of hibernation, you'll be shredding them, ALL, if you keep at it.

Like MTB-Idle said, it only gets faster, not easier.

You never really notice power increases, except the monday morning high (if you have an entire weekend), but eventually you start to notice that the gear you always use for hill X is suddenly not quite as challenging as it used to be, and that you think you could manage it maybe in the next gear up. This is when you start to notice the speed.

If your new to cycling, I suggest you read up on pedalling technique and chain-line, I wasn't very aware of these things, and I kinda broke a few drive trains whilst toying with my awesome thighs. They aren't so awesome when they can eat a drive-train in 3 months...
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Stick with it and the fitness will come. I was flippin' knackered after my first 15-mile commute.

The stiffness at the top of neck suggests that it's down to the position on the bike rather than your backpack - I get pains in my lower back if I carry too much or ride for too long with it. Did you get the correct size? What height are you and which size did you get? Are you able to flip the stem so that it angles upwards a bit more? That will give you a bit more of an upright, relaxed position.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    I agree with everyone about waiting for things to improve. I do 11 miles and when I first started it took 1 hr 15mins with 2 rest stops (albeit on a 15yr old 2 ton MTB). My record now is just under 30mins. If afetr a few months regular riding you are still struggling with the hills you could think about changing your chainset to a tripple, but I doubt that will be necessary.

As for back pain I used to get that till I got my saddle height correct. I assume you got your bike from wiggle, they are usually pretty good at setting the bike up. Check out sheldon brown website for instructions on saddle position. As a general rule you should have it so your leg is almost straight at the bottom of your pedal stroke but there should be no side to side rocking of your hips as you go along.

Most newbies (myself included) start out with the saddle way too low.
  • +1 to the 'stick at it' advice!

After my first ever 7 mile commute in London (after a good few years of fthe bike) I thought I might expire from sheer deadness while trying to climb a 'hill' up to the back of Liverpool Street Station!

5 years on and, while I remember where said minute incline is, it doesn't have the same effect!
  • mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    The 1st time i got back on my bike 9 miles took me well over an hour i was that unfit. 3 years and nearly 3000 miles later and im cycling the 50 mile round trip commute.

Its still a sod on the way home but you recover quicker the fitter you get. Stick at it and take it easy dont try to do too much too soon. If you have £50 spare and think your going to do a lot of cycling you should go get a bike fit done to make sure your all set up correctly.

Most of all enjoy being out and about.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I had the neck pain thing too for a while. It was just getting used to the position and having to hold my fat head up in the roadie position for an hour+ No problem at all now.

The strength in the legs will also come, the last km to my front door is the biggest hill on my commute. As an experiment this morning I stopped at the top and rolled down to see how fast I went (after watching Rubens talk about doing that on the hill at eau rouge) and I hit 37mph. The first time I tried to ride up it on the way home I packed and started walking as soon as it got steep. Second time crawled up it about walking pace. Now I can ride up no problems, it still hurts and I don't often stay about 9mph going up it but I'm still getting quicker up it after 18 months.

Just have fun, and remember, if it doesn't hurt your not trying hard enough :wink:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Also had neck pain when I started my 10mile commute.

Was getting real peeved of with it, head aches, tension etc etc. Was almost at my wits end thinking that I would have to give up, or maybe just do a couple of days a week (bleh at that).

I made a few minor adjustments on the bike (raise handlebars, lower seat) . Not sure whether it worked, but it went away after a couple of months. I don't think the adjustments made much difference, I think it's more todo with strengthening the muscles and getting used to the position.
  • aldric
    Thanks very much for your comments.

It sounds like the gearing for my bike is OK and I just have to improve my fitness level. As I said I do find it weird as I am no-where near out of breath or exhausted its just the legs get slower and slower!!

The neck pain might be the bike set up. The bike frame is supposed to be for someone upto 5'7" but I am 5'8" but don't really have long legs. I have put the saddle down a fair few inches since I got it from Wiggle, I couldn't even have got on the bike the saddle was so high. I can JUST touch the floor with my tip toes when I am sat on the saddle, so I think its the about the right height.

I am not sure about the bars, possibly I am not stretched out enough due to the smaller frame? I haven't used the drop bars at all really, I am just using the hoods and the bar so I am fairly upright.

I was faster again on both journeys this morning, which is good.. :)

The weather has been fantastic the last few days. I definately picked a good time to start this.. not looking fowrward to the dark, cold mornings so much though!!

and I might not be able to ride if it gets like this outside again this year:

carym.jpg

Thanks again.
  • Stick with it.

Come on, you can't expect to take up a physical exercise and be good straight away (although some people do - not me). Also, aches and pains is just because you're not used to the posture.

Strangely, I think the problem might be you have low gearing. Many newcomers use the 34 fr 25 rear combo thinking it's easier uphills. It might if your fit and it's at 25%. High cadence if you're not used to it can wear you out fast. Try a much higher gearing and a slower cadence.

And as Aguila mentioned, have you checked (even basically) your cycling posture?

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/pain.html
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • aldric
    Thanks Buckled_Rims.

I certianly didn't expect to be great straight away, more than happy to learn and get fit along the way. I was just concerned I had the wrong gearing or I was doing something daft!!

I am getting rid of a car, so I have no choice but to get better! :lol:

I will try out a higher gear tomorrow on the way home and less cadence. sounds like a good idea and will let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the sheldonbrown link. I am doing a few things wrong and will address them tomorrow.

I didn't really have much neck pain tonight, nothing like last night. I am hoping that most of it is my body getting used to these new wierd positions its being forced in to!
  • mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    if you can touch the road while sat on the bike then your saddle is too low.
  • Norky
    Norky Posts: 276
    aldric wrote:
    Shoulder / neck pain. I have very small, lightweight rucksack that I am using as I haven't got any paniers yet (not sure I will). Tonight I have a pretty sore neck, top of shoulder blades dead centre.

Do you wear glasses, and/or a helmet with a peak?
    The above is a post in a forum on the Intertubes, and should be taken with the appropriate amount of seriousness.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    edited September 2010
    mkirby wrote:
    if you can touch the road while sat on the bike then your saddle is too low.

There's a lot of wiggle room there though, the OP says he can just about touch the ground with his toes.

To the OP- a good rule of thumb for saddle height is that your leg is straight when you have the instep of your foot on the pedal. Then when you have the ball of your foot on the pedal as you would when actually riding you have a few degrees bend in your leg.

Edit: that should be your heel, not your instep!
  • When I started commuting every day I got neck and shoulder pain from checking over my shoulder for cars all the time!