Brake hoods slipping down the handlebar

Zachariah
Zachariah Posts: 782
edited September 2010 in The workshop
I feel like an idiot for not being able to fix this myself, or find anything on the internet. The problem is my right brake hood (the entire block, not just the rubbery bit) is loose and can travel laterally and vertically on my handlebars (Tektro brake on standard drop bars). I can't find any way to tighten them up! I can pull the rubber hood off, but no screws are revealed. I even popped out the pins holding the lever in, but that didn't help. I saw one screw just behind the lever but still couldn't get at it. Do I have to release the cable from the brakes and hope the lever comes out the front?

How do I tighten up the little hoops holding the lever assembly to my bars?

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Zachariah wrote:
    I feel like an idiot for not being able to fix this myself, or find anything on the internet. The problem is my right brake hood (the entire block, not just the rubbery bit) is loose and can travel laterally and vertically on my handlebars (Tektro brake on standard drop bars). I can't find any way to tighten them up! I can pull the rubber hood off, but no screws are revealed. I even popped out the pins holding the lever in, but that didn't help. I saw one screw just behind the lever but still couldn't get at it. Do I have to release the cable from the brakes and hope the lever comes out the front?

How do I tighten up the little hoops holding the lever assembly to my bars?

Not familiar with Tektro but USUALLY and I say again USUALLY if you squeeze the brake lever and look directly behind it you will see an hex(allen) socket bolt. This is how you usually tighten up that loose band. Once again I guessing about Tektro.
  • I have Tektro levers and this is how they work. Quite difficult to fit an allen key while the brake cable is in place, but just managed it with a ball-ended key. Good luck :D
    time flies like an arrow
    fruit flies like a banana
  • Thanks to dennisn and AyrshireBacon, I found the nut and duly tightened it up. Had to undo the brake cable and pull the lever right out to get at it. Cheers!