29ers

DCbiker
DCbiker Posts: 29
edited September 2010 in MTB beginners
Hey all, I'm thinking of buying a hardtail 29er, but I want to hear firsthand from you all on what your thoughts were? Does the bigger tyres really make a big difference in terms of an enhanced ability to "climb over anything" more efficiently? The singleback trails I ride on usually are hilly and very bumpy (e.g., jumping over fallen logs and blasting past tree roots). I also need good control to stay on the path as there are some narrow crossings over ditches/water.

What say you?
2010 Felt Z4
2009 Spark 60

Comments

• cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    I would say ask google and get a million people asking the same boring question ;-)
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • In my opinion the bigger wheels make very little difference though you will find lots of people who'll tell you they're the best thing since sliced bread. Admittedly I've got a way to go before I get my bike set up just right, but for now I'd say unless you absolutely have to spend the money give them a miss.

Alternatively, if you're going to buy a second bike anyway, why should it not be a 29er?
  • Mark_K
    Mark_K Posts: 666
    I like the way my 29er rides and i ride a lot of rooty trails ! They are not a cure for all evils though and you really need to try before you buy ?
    On a side note i have just got a great T-shirt to give my 29er dissing mates more pi55 take ammo lol
    29yellD.png
  • Haha, that's one GREAT shirt!!
    2010 Felt Z4
    2009 Spark 60