The Best Way to Clean a MTB

whistleblower
whistleblower Posts: 68
edited September 2010 in MTB general
I have started with this MTB'ing recently and I am hesitant to take my bike up on the downs and get it dirty 'cos that would mean that I would have to clean it. However, I don't the best way to clean my hardtail bike.

What is the best way to clean your bike? What equipment do you need? What do you need to do after cleaning your bike (oiling your chain, checking suspension, etc)?

Any advice regarding this would be appreciated.

Comments

• cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    hot soapy water and a sponge? maybe a wee brush to get in the fiddly bits. rinse well and lube chain and mechs. done.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Dirty is good. Get up the Downs - that's why it's a mountain bike.

This for a road bike but principle is the same. I don't have any of the fancy bits though.

Parktools here - http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=85

Plenty of other useful info there as well.

Also look down
    I
    I
    I
    \/

Under Workshop & buyers guides - How to clean and lube your bike.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Put it on thw side board next to the sink or even better on the floor in the bedroom and with a few tuts surely the missus will clean it?
    I wish I was Kenny "F@#king" Powers
  • Put it on thw side board next to the sink or even better on the floor in the bedroom and with a few tuts surely the missus will clean it?

Spot on - bought mine home the other day filthy and she cleaned it.

She told me she had done it so obviously I just left it and didn't check only to realise yesterday that the chain is now a horrible orange colour due to it not being lubed!

So yes, get her to clean it, but teach her to lube it first (most women, if they are good know how to lube well)
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp 2009.