Swedish bike ride

Comments

• zoomcp
    zoomcp Posts: 975
    entries are over 6000 after just one day; with a limit of 18500,

don't delay; it's a fantastic experience

I'm in :D
  • This sounds awesome. I love biking. I love Sweden. I love lakes.

SEK 1150 though? Blimey o riley....

Damn keen - gonna give this some thought.
    Giant Rapid 3
  • Right...I've given it more thought and I really want to do it. I have a few newb questions if anyone might be able to help:

I've only been cycling for a couple of months. Furthest I've done is 60 miles although I do feel I could do more 'now'. Given that this ride is June next year, I feel I'd have plenty of time to train adequately to manage to the required 186 miles. Am I right?

If I average 15-18mph, I'd do it in 10-12 hours. In a ride of this distance, would most people just stop for quick loo breaks and eat/drink on the bike, or would you have a 'proper' meal break?

The idea of starting late at night is a bit gruelling (I'm a major fan of nocturnal sleep activity)...Am I likely to be able to get any sleep at the Råssnäs campsite during the day on the Friday or is it a bit hectic with 22,000 chirpy cyclists fluttering around?

I'd probably fly from Stansted to Skavsta and take the train to Vätternrunda. Anyone else thinking of this route?

Tack!
    Giant Rapid 3
  • zoomcp
    Right...I've given it more thought and I really want to do it. I have a few newb questions if anyone might be able to help:

I've only been cycling for a couple of months. Furthest I've done is 60 miles although I do feel I could do more 'now'. Given that this ride is June next year, I feel I'd have plenty of time to train adequately to manage to the required 186 miles. Am I right?

If I average 15-18mph, I'd do it in 10-12 hours. In a ride of this distance, would most people just stop for quick loo breaks and eat/drink on the bike, or would you have a 'proper' meal break?

The idea of starting late at night is a bit gruelling (I'm a major fan of nocturnal sleep activity)...Am I likely to be able to get any sleep at the Råssnäs campsite during the day on the Friday or is it a bit hectic with 22,000 chirpy cyclists fluttering around?

I'd probably fly from Stansted to Skavsta and take the train to Vätternrunda. Anyone else thinking of this route?

Tack!

if you are thinking of entering soon it would be great because I can get a later start time if you use my number (we don't have to ride togetherl they just take the start time based on the latest entrant I think)

I looked into flying to Skavsta when I did it in 2009 but even with a "free" Ryanair flight :( it ended up costing more than BA to Arlanda after taking the bike charge and getting to Stansted into account; but it is a lot nearer if you ride (the first bit from Stockholm is pretty grim, it's a lot nicer the nearer you get to Motala) be careful; they do not allow bikes on the normal trains even in bags, don't bank on taking a bike on the train.

as regards training; do some 100 then 200 Audaxes you should be fine
  • Hi Zoom,

What start time have you got? Apparently if you book now you get either 10pm or 1am.

I hadn't actually thought of cycling to Motala from the airport but that is a great idea. Looks like 95 miles from Skavsta.

Thanks for the tip off about bikes on trains; I didn't realise that. Looks like some lines will accept a couple of bikes but I don't think the route to Motala does (http://www.sj.se/sj/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d= ... 39310&l=en). There is a train from Gothenburg on which you can eat & sleep for the duration of the event which I'm also considering (http://www.lygnartaget.se/)

Ryanair charge £40 each way to take a bike on board ( http://www.ryanair.com/en/questions/table-of-fees) and it looks like the flight itself would cost around £50 so a total of £130.
    Giant Rapid 3
  • I did this two years ago, and would have done it again this year but I was ill. A few words of advice.

If you're happy riding in a group, then the opportunities are almost limitless. With 60 riders leaving every few minutes, there is always another group coming along. Find one that suits your ability, and the kms will fly by. I'm not a strong rider and was aiming for 12 hours when I originally thought of it. I ended up a fraction over 10 hours. A lot of that time was in groups of up to a hundred (and yes, it felt just like the TdF). You won't even need to do a turn most of the time, as there will be strong Swedes on the front, and they are all used to people taking a free ride.

Even if you start riding on your own, if you look around you're going to find a dozen people wheel-sucking you ...

Food and drink are well catered for. But if you are aiming for a time, then I would recommend missing the full meal stop. The queue will cost you the best part of an hour. But make sure you eat enough. I suffered after 7 hours because I didn't eat enough. Take some bars and eat regularly while riding. There are bananas, rolls, etc. at the other stations. Again, if you are after a time, then I'd stop only 3 or 4 times (every other feed station).

I wouldn't worry about the early start. Adrenaline will take over. But don't get too carried away and blow your legs out in the first couple of hours ...

This is a really safe, easy and friendly ride. It's effectively on closed roads except for a portion around the north side of the lake. There are only 3 hills to speak of. A 5% grind through Granna to the second feed stop, a short 10% in the SW corner of the lake, and then a few nasty bumps after you turn the top corner that make you suffer. The roads are smooooth ...

Enjoy.
  • Excellent, thanks for the info George, I'm gonna do it!
    Giant Rapid 3
  • zoomcp
    Hi Zoom,

What start time have you got? Apparently if you book now you get either 10pm or 1am.

Ryanair charge £40 each way to take a bike on board ( http://www.ryanair.com/en/questions/table-of-fees) and it looks like the flight itself would cost around £50 so a total of £130.

firstly; agree completely with what George said; I've done French sportives and Paris-Brest and none come close to the exhillaration of the VR

I booked BA Heathrow to Gotherburg all in with no charge for the bike for £105; I think you can still get it at that price as a mate booked last week.

I'm assuming a 00.30 ish start as I entered last week; didn't read the website properly :oops: in 2009 the late starts started at 02.30 not midnight so I booked on the first day and got 02.32 which is the best time as you are riding almost all of it in daylight. If someone uses my "start number" when start times have reached 02.30 then we all get that start time; otherwise I'll have to pay 200SKr on the day to change it and probably won't bother. In 2009 it was really miserable until mid morning so I was riding in half light for about 3hrs, on a clear night it will be half light all night anyway;

be aware that June in Sweden is more like Easter here; lots of leg / arm warmers and long gloves in evidence when I rode

Motala is roughly half way between Stockholm and Gothenburg; I'm flying to the latter for a change next year as have never been there. Virtually all the car traffic is on the motorways; what ends up on the "A roads" is pretty sparse and curteous, they only tend to have dedicated cycle lanes in the towns (unlike the Netherlands) but it's a pleasant experience. They have a good network of youth hostels (not cheap but probably the only reasonable way of staying in the country other than camping) make sure you can book and pay direct as otherwise you have to wire them money via IBAN which the banks in the UK will charge £20 for :x . There are private tourist hostels in major cities too which are fine.

If you use Google maps there are some really lovely minor roads you can cycle along to avoid the main roads, all empty as the area seems to be either framing or weekend chalets; the smell of fresh pine forest all the way is also lovely

is it really 9 horrible UK winter months before I get to go again?
  • A few more things.

zoomcp is correct about the weather. Summer in Sweden is actually usually warmer than here (30+C) but this is not reliable and the nights are not so warm. Even if it's fine, then you'll most likely need warmers and maybe a gilet for the first few hours. If you're unlucky, it can be very wet. The best weather is a fine day with a slack south-westerly to push you through the middle half.

Start times go through to 5 or 6 in the morning. The faster riders aim to start later. I started at 3:15, although I was meant to start earlier. You are meant to stick to your start time, and the Swedes generally stick to the national stereotype of conformism. Because most people follow the rules, then you shouldn't have any trouble at the start if you go at the "wrong" time. They're too busy shovelling everybody through the start gates, and if anybody notices it, just say that you overslept. [It takes place in what is a market, I think, with about 8 pens being used in rotation, with starts every 2 minutes, if I remember correctly]
  • Unfortunately, after much research, I just don't think I can afford this. I need travel to airport, flight, bike fee on plane, bike bag, event entry, camping, tent, sleeping bag & food. Might see you there in 2012 :(
    Giant Rapid 3