Recycling Inner Tubes

chalex90
chalex90 Posts: 3
edited November 2012 in MTB general
I, like most serious riders, tend to change my inner tubes pretty much every time my back wheel even hints at going flat to quickly. Being fairly ethically minded i don't feel right just chucking them in the bin so i tend to have a stock pile of broken inner tubs until i eventually have to throw them out. Is there anywhere i can take my inner tubes to get recycled. 10 or so tubes aren't exactly heavy so it would probably make quite a nice ride to do it anyway.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You serious? What is too quickly? 1 second, 2 seconds?
    What a waste.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 3 or 4 patches and they're consigned to the 'use for something else' store.
    I only ever bin tubes with slime or milk in, all the others hang off the end of the strip light until required as tie-downs, chainstay protectors, rubber bands, etc.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    repair and re-use.

self re-cycling.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Post em to me, I'll recycle them :wink:
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • thel33ter wrote:
    Post em to me, I'll recycle them :wink:

2nd that one :D
  • yeh, i'll take some of that action
  • This reminds me, I have about 15 tubes sat in an old plastic bag! Hmm time to find some patches.......
  • chalex90 wrote:
    I, like most serious riders, tend to change my inner tubes pretty much every time my back wheel even hints at going flat to quickly. Being fairly ethically minded i don't feel right just chucking them in the bin so i tend to have a stock pile of broken inner tubs until i eventually have to throw them out. Is there anywhere i can take my inner tubes to get recycled. 10 or so tubes aren't exactly heavy so it would probably make quite a nice ride to do it anyway.

Puncture repair kit??

Failing that, just send them off to a bike recycling center, or your LBS. I'm sure there's plenty of people out there that will have some use for them.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    find a lobster/crayfish fisherman.

and do a swap.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    :?

what would a lobster/crayfish fisherman do with them?
  • sew them all together and make a gimp suit and mask

OR

use them to rubberize your entire frame
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    jairaj wrote:

cut then into rings and put them on the claws.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Seriously, Freecycle might be an option- someone might take them just to fix them and use them.

Like you I'm reluctant to just chuck them but then I don't really know what to do with them either.

As for repairs, if I'm at home I'll fix it (my front commuter tube has 4 patches on it now) but if I'm out and about I'll replace it and the old one will likely get chucked when I get home. I just wouldn't really trust a repair if I fixed it and then just had it in my jersey pocket/Camelbak for weeks/months until it was needed.
  • nicklouse wrote:
    jairaj wrote:

Make little lobster gimp suits for them.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    This is a very silly thread. Don't bin when you can recycle but don't recycle when you can reuse.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • MrChuck
    Northwind wrote:
    This is a very silly thread. Don't bin when you can recycle but don't recycle when you can reuse.

Just out of interest Northwind, what do you do with your tubes when you get a flat on the trail?

Assuming you're not running tubeless of course!
  • Northwind
    I'm tubeless now but when I used tubes, I'd either patch it or swap for a fresh one then patch it once I got home, depending on how I felt.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cooldad
    In over 40 years of riding I've never had a patch fail. I carry a spare, replace on the trail, and fix it when I get home.
    Sooner or later, if the tube perishes, or splits I'll bin it. Or if there is more patch than tube.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • MrChuck
    Northwind wrote:
    I'm tubeless now but when I used tubes, I'd either patch it or swap for a fresh one then patch it once I got home, depending on how I felt.

So you'd patch it, test it, then let it down again and carry it as a spare?
    I just wouldn't trust it once I'd deflated it, unless it had proved itself in use for a while and then I'm ashamed to admit I couldn't be bothered to change them around.
  • Northwind
    MrChuck wrote:
    So you'd patch it, test it, then let it down again and carry it as a spare?

Well, I don't do much testing, just stick a wee bit of air in it and throw it up the back of the garage and see what it looks like next time I remember it's there :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • I haven'tbinned a tube in ages. I bought a 48 pack of patches of eBay. If I binned every tube I punched I'd be broke!

[/b]
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • Hockney
    Hockney Posts: 1
    edited November 2012
    ummmm
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    This is sad lol
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    chalex90 wrote:
    Is there anywhere i can take my inner tubes to get recycled.
    Repair and re-use. There is no reason to recycle them.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • cooldad
    Daz555 wrote:
    chalex90 wrote:
    Er you do realise he posted a few years ago and hasn't been back since - may not get your message.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    cooldad wrote:
    Daz555 wrote:
    chalex90 wrote:
    Er you do realise he posted a few years ago and hasn't been back since - may not get your message.
    We're into recycling threads now?
  • Hockney wrote:
    ummmm

You revived a 2yr old thread just to say that?

For what it's worth, 2yrs on, I stand by my initial gimp-mask suggestion.

and nicks suggestion for lobster gimp suits.
This discussion has been closed.