TOB Sunday 12th Spectating ? Staffs Way

cougie
cougie Posts: 22,512
edited September 2010 in Pro race
Planning on riding over to see the race somewhere round Leek kind of way.
Are there any locals who know the route can advise of the best spots to see it ?

http://www.tourofbritain.co.uk/_ns_pdf/ ... te_map.pdf

Comments

• skinsey
    skinsey Posts: 105
    Gun Hill, near Meerbrook - a proper climb. Get there early though - if last year's anything to go by, it'll be packed.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Yeah we did Gun Hill last year. Waited for about 3 hours and they just blew up it, saw them all for about 30 seconds. Good day out though, lovely riding country.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Will try to spectate on a stretch that gives better viewing than Gun Hill..it is narrow and cramped. and as they blitz that hill as tho it doesnt exist you might as well get a spot where you can see them for longer.

You can always challenge yourself to get into Hanley quicker than them for the finish!
  • cougie
    Ta for that - yeah they do make light work of the hills dont they ? Gonna have a nice hilly ride anyway so that watching them go past is just an addition to the fun.
  • Will the Hollinsclough Moor climb be a good one to watch? I'm torn, because going to the finish in Stoke will be a shorter journey for me, with more to do before the race comes, but if it's a proper climb, I wouldn't mind going out there.
  • cougie
    I believe the Hollinsclough Moor climb will be better than Gun Hill, it is longer according to the route manual anyway. Earliest time there should be about 12.30.

Current plan is to ride over from Knutsford kinda way, up to Macclesfield, and then Buxton way and then up to Hollinsclough.

Is there a better climb than the Cat and Fiddle anywhere around that ? I've done it a few times before so a new one would be nice.