racing season

r.gilling121
r.gilling121 Posts: 20
edited September 2010 in Amateur race
Hi i am an 18 year old going od to university at loughborough. i do lots of sport and will take up triathlon but also want to do some racing but what is the season?
also does anyone know of any races around that area?
how good do i have to be before i start ive done one 10mil TT in 27.16 is that good enough to start cat 4?

Comments

• Hi i am an 18 year old going od to university at loughborough. i do lots of sport and will take up triathlon but also want to do some racing but what is the season?
    also does anyone know of any races around that area?
    how good do i have to be before i start ive done one 10mil TT in 27.16 is that good enough to start cat 4?

You're faster then me and I don't get dropped in 4th cat races. Not going to win one any time soon either however. :lol: More about your ability to deal with surges then a steady state speed like in a time trial. You still need the basic fitness though.

Season has virtually ended, might be worth turning up to one local race before they stop so you got some reference point/motivation over the winter.
    The British Empire never died, it just moved to the Velodrome
  • ok thanks so if this season is over when does the new one begin? when are all points zeroed?
  • Dess1e
    Dess1e Posts: 239
    Road season in the UK tends to start too early and finish too soon. However there are races around until mid october, then the winter series races tend to start in December. Points are zeroed on Dec 1st.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    ok thanks so if this season is over when does the new one begin? when are all points zeroed?
    Traditional road racing season is March-Sept although there are a few races outside of this. There are also a couple of winter series at Hillingdon and Hog Hill (both outskirts of London) that run Dec-Feb.

Points system is reset to zero from 1st Dec each year.

For local races look on British Cycling Race Calendar - Loughborough would be East Midlands region I think.
    http://new.britishcycling.org.uk/events/list

Don't forget you'll either need a racing licence or pay for a "day licence" on the day at each race.

I'd also strongly advise you to get some experience riding in a group before you rock up for your first race if you are not used to it.