Workmate in cyclist conflict

2»

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    biondino wrote:
    This seems a pointless thread. As I understand it the situation is as below (car is blue, bike is red):

carbike.jpg

The blue and red arrows are the ones both vehicles should take, obviously and incontrovertibly. Are we saying that the bike actually took the green route? In that case the cyclist is a complete tool and should have expected to be knocked over.

Or, if the cyclist took a route similar to the red arrow, but with a tighter turn, so that he just skimmed the arc (essentially the same as the green arrow, but less clear cut), then the cyclist could be forgiven for thinking he was holding a reasonable line, but it would still appear that he was cutting across to the driver.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    The cyclist knew the car was there, so must have been aware that he was cutting up the car? Regardless of his idea of priorities, this is stupid and reckless - after 5 yards the car'll be quicker than him anyway.

Equally, the car has to be aware the cyclist is there, and if the cyclist does take a tight angle, it won't kill ehr to have a bit of patience, especially as the cyclist got to the junction first. God, people.
  • So Blondie let's just be clear

Is it "Murderous B*tch in her 2 tonne steel death weapon" or "Tax dodging ipod lycra lout"

Don't you start any of that Namby Pamby lets show some patience crap.

This is war, what side are you on anyway?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • OK, some context.

The workmate would be turning out of Mill Street and would therefore be travelling slow as she prepared to tun right into Station Rd.

I don't know where exactly the cyclist was coming from. And I won't know until next week because I am away for the next two days. However, it's clear that either he followed her out of Mill Street and took the left position of her car. OR, she pulled out in front of him as he travelled down Castle St, forcing him to the left. OR he pulled through a queue and took up the left position.

Incident2.gif
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    Car driver in the right on this one IMHO.

Biondino has it just about spot on I reckon.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If the cyclist was on the left it seems perfectly reasonable for the car driver to assume he was turning left.

I can remember learning Cycling Proficiency at primary school - if your going to turn right at a T junction you indicate clearly and move in towards the middle of the road before the junction.

I learnt this a second time when being taught to ride motor bikes.

Sometimes this isn't practical, so you may stay on the left. In these cases you have to be aware that other people will assume your going to turn left and you wait till it's safe.

I don't want to come across as a pansy, but at busy/dangerous junctions and roundabouts I just get off and walk.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Even if the driver thought he was turning left, it needn't have been a problem that he wasn't. I'd have thought you'd have to really try and have a collision in those circumstances.
  • Cyclist proceeding along the road on the left wishing to turn right should look over his shoulder to check for oncoming traffic, and also show intent to oncoming vehicles, move to the right side of the lane and do a hand signal. You shouldn't be turning right from the left of the carriageway, and you shouldn't be turning across oncoming vehicles - you should already be on the right side to avoid that possibility.