Trouble in the trouser dept......

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
My rock and roll lifestyle is so rock and roll, that I went shopping for jeans with the family on Saturday....

Anyway; suffice to say my thighs and butt are a little larger than average, thank you gene pool and cycling. Yet I am a normal 32" waist and a 34" leg size....In work trousers.

My problem is this; Is there anywhere that does clothes that actually fit people who have a bit of fitness and muscle build?! Not to say that I am he-man, but no jeans in a 32" waist would go over my thighs or butt!!!!! If I go up a few waist sizes - jeans simply look ridiculous and don't fit properly!

I am not the right shape for the *heroin* skinny jean look and my only option is slacker fit jeans - very loose fit!

I have also found the same issue with casual shirts - I have a big chest/shoulders and a small'ish waist, however, mens shirts are now tailored for waif's - so, althought the shirt fits around my middle, I have no hope of doing up the chest buttons....If I buy a bigger size (usually xl) then the shirt is like a f*cking tent!

Does anyone else have this issue or am I a freak?!

Comments

• R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    I'm completely with you on this - I have a nightmare getting clothes to fit.

As I've just been hunting for shirts, what worked for me: go for your collar size, but look for "slim fit" or tailored. You'll eventually find a store that size fits you.

I'm still at a loss for jeans, but when I eventually find a pair that fit I get two pairs!
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    myself and Jake have the same problem, him more than me. This has resulted in him not owning jeans at all, he has enough of a problem with getting uniform 4s and 2s trousers to fit resulting in them having to be tailor made.

Don't worry you arn't the only one and given a few more months my half my wardrobe will have to be replaced :(
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • BenS999
    BenS999 Posts: 202
    Try some Levi's styles (older style cuts - dont ask me the numbers), they are made for them big thighed American cowboys. :lol:

or you could try jeggings! :D
    2011 Orange Five Pro
    On-One Pompetamine Alfine Comp
  • NGale
    BenS999 wrote:
    Try some Levi's styles (older style cuts - dont ask me the numbers), they are made for them big thighed American cowboys. :lol:

I now have horrible images of gtvlusso and Brokeback Mountain :shock:
  • gtvlusso
    NGale wrote:
    BenS999 wrote:

I now have horrible images of gtvlusso and Brokeback Mountain :shock:

:shock: :? :wink:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    BenS999 wrote:

512s :oops:

Yes yes whatever!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    For what it's worth gtvlusso I tried on some really nice black straight jeans in the Paul Smith sale, size 32 waist they were actually baggy around the waist and so tight on my thighs that if I sat down they would have popped open for sure.

Who's built like that.... JG ..?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i have this problem, i have to buy a 36inch waisted jean! i am not a 36inch waist!
  • NGale
    itboffin wrote:
    BenS999 wrote:

512s :oops:

Yes yes whatever!

Flipping heck your missus must like taking you shopping, I bet you have an eye for the right kind of shoes as well :roll:
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Avoid anything European and go American - they seem to make clothes for people who are a proper shape over there. Not very exciting, but I can usually get Gap jeans to fit my disproportionately large thighs.
  • R_T_A wrote:
    As I've just been hunting for shirts, what worked for me: go for your collar size, but look for "slim fit" or tailored. You'll eventually find a store that size fits you.

If its work style shirts - have a look in TM Lewin and go half a neck size down with slim fit.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    gtvlusso wrote:
    My rock and roll lifestyle is so rock and roll, that I went shopping for jeans with the family on Saturday....

Anyway; suffice to say my thighs and butt are a little larger than average, thank you gene pool and cycling. Yet I am a normal 32" waist and a 34" leg size....In work trousers.

My problem is this; Is there anywhere that does clothes that actually fit people who have a bit of fitness and muscle build?! Not to say that I am he-man, but no jeans in a 32" waist would go over my thighs or butt!!!!! If I go up a few waist sizes - jeans simply look ridiculous and don't fit properly!

I am not the right shape for the *heroin* skinny jean look and my only option is slacker fit jeans - very loose fit!

I have also found the same issue with casual shirts - I have a big chest/shoulders and a small'ish waist, however, mens shirts are now tailored for waif's - so, althought the shirt fits around my middle, I have no hope of doing up the chest buttons....If I buy a bigger size (usually xl) then the shirt is like a f*cking tent!

Does anyone else have this issue or am I a freak?!

Many many times I have raged about this online and in shops. I mentioned this once before in this place. I think I was flamed.

I have a 33inch waist.

I went to Next, I dare not buy the 34 inch waist or otherwise known as crotch destroyers.

I used to buy the 36inch waist, these fitted but made me look like dumpy as though my name was Humpty.

I recently went to buy a suit, tried the 36inch waist trousers and they couldn't get over my thighs. So, yep, 38inchs it was. The legs look tight and my belt on the smallest notch makes the waist of the trousers sort of form an extra hoop with the additional material. Expensive suit, yet still looking like a hobo.

Jeans are the worst, 36inch but the legs are long so I walk on the heels, eating those away. That's cool when you got to a rock club but all other times not so much. I went through a pair of UniGlo jeans inside a year, my thighs burst or burnt by rubbing the legs right by the crotch. Nice jeans just not cycle thigh proof.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    spasypaddy wrote:
    i have this problem, i have to buy a 36inch waisted jean! i am not a 36inch waist!

I own some 38's FFS

there's I've said it... some of them are still too damn tigh around my hipswhile others look like I might have just worn a sack with leg holes & tied bailortwine around my waist
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Im glad Im not alone.

I end up with jeans that are super baggy at the waist but still very fitted at the thigh.

very annoying.
  • gtvlusso
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I recently went to buy a suit, tried the 36inch waist trousers and they couldn't get over my thighs. So, yep, 38inchs it was. The legs look tight and my belt on the smallest notch makes the waist of the trousers sort of form an extra hoop with the additional material. Expensive suit, yet still looking like a hobo.

So you don't have your suits tailor made then? :shock: :wink:

It is appearing that the mens clothing market has missed a key demographic.....trousers and jeans that actually fit people! Womens clothes have changed significantly, since one bright spark suggested that the 1940's figure of a girl that all sizing was based on was not the same shape that women are now.

I would suggest the same for men - we are not all waifs or "big". If you have any muscletone or athletic build you are screwed for good quality, well fitting clothes.

Otherwise it is a wifebeater vest and camo shorts!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Clever Pun wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

I own some 38's FFS

there's I've said it... some of them are still too damn tigh around my hipswhile others look like I might have just worn a sack with leg holes & tied bailortwine around my waist

Made me laugh right up until the point I realised you're at least a foot taller than me.... damn.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • :lol:

Maybe a trip to the tailors, boys, for all your very unusual shapes?

I mean, it must be a real pain being such Adonis-like builds....
  • gtvlusso
    :lol:

Maybe a trip to the tailors, boys, for all your very unusual shapes?

I mean, it must be a real pain being such Adonis-like builds....

I drank a bottle of red wine, triple bourbon and had a pizza last night :-( A podgy adonis!
  • There really is a need for sarcasm font, isn't there? :P
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    i have said it before....

wimmins levis are a better fit for the larger thighed gentleman....

I too suffer from the 32" waist, but have a really awkward 35" inside leg....

couple with the fact that my thighs are nearly as wide as my waist....

the gap is usually ok, but just don't pay any attention to the number on the size label....they lie.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I have the same problem, I have got a pair of gap ones that are ok, not perfect but only become on the tight side when sitting, just on the right side of tight though not at the point where I am about to be sliced into three bits
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    MatHammond wrote:
    Avoid anything European and go American - they seem to make clothes for people who are a proper shape over there. Not very exciting, but I can usually get Gap jeans to fit my disproportionately large thighs.

+1
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    If you want Jeans, go to a Levis store, and ask one of the assistants, try on loads, I did, and they'll adjust the length of the jeans for you in store the same day (sometimes while you wait if they aren't too busy)

Just checked the number on mine: 533
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs