MMMBOP Bandwagon

essex_stu
essex_stu Posts: 93
edited November 2010 in Your mountain bikes
Well, after deciding that reaching 19st is far to much for my 5ft 11 frame I decided to try and get back in shape once again. Loved biking at the gym but hated the whole gym thing so decided to buy a bike for the first time in 10 years.
After seeing a Boardman Pro Ht at work and loving the look of it I set a budget of £350 and started looking for a bike. The budget soon rockerted to £800 but I realised I would still have to change quite a few bits to the spec I wanted so binned the buying a bike idea in place of building my own bike. This is how my original spec started:-

Frame: On one summer season lime - Size 18"
Forks: RS Tora 302 air
Bars: Fsa Gravity
Stem: EA50
Headset: FSA pig
Grips: Race face

Front Brake: Avid juicy 3 160mm
Rear Brake: Avid juicy 3 160mm

Shifters: deore
Front Mech: deore
Rear Mech: Deore

Seat: Charge Spoon
Seat Post: Race face

Cranks: deore
Chainring(s): deore
Pedals: wellgo v8 copies
Bottom Bracket: hollow tech

Front Wheel: Shimano MT15

Back Wheel: Shimano MT15

This soon got changed to this though:-

Frame: Ragley MMMbop lime - Size 18"
Forks: RS Recon 351 solo air
Bars: EA50 mid rise
Stem: Kore B52 75MM
Headset: Undecided
Grips: Lizard skins logo lock on lime

Front Brake: Avid code 5 203mm
Rear Brake: Avid code 5 185mm

Shifters: deore
Front Mech: deore
Rear Mech: Deore

Seat Post: Nukeproof Warhead

Cranks: deore
Chainring(s): deore
Pedals: DMR v8 Flourescent green

Front Wheel: Halo freedom

Back Wheel: Halo freedom

Most of the bits above are ordered and are sitting in the national hub awaiting delivery.The pedals are already here as is the saddle but I still need to order the Wheelset and decide on a headset then I can start the build. Photos to follow tomorrow

Comments

• You know, a 75mm stem on an Mmmbop is VERY long. 50-60 is about normal. With such a long stem, you may find steering a bit sluggish.
  • CWNT you are probaly right about the stem but it's a cheap alteration if I do need to change it.The frame and other bits arrived today and when I picked up the box I thought they had forgot to put the frame in, the box was really that light.I can't believe how something so light can support my body weight but time will tell.will upload a few photos later
  • sounds nice, agree with CWNT, too slow and slugish. buy something like a 50mm stem instead and you will notice a hell of a lot of difference.

headset, people have bought superstar headsets and have found them to be not the correct sizing. it works but there is a tiny gap which doesnt affect it. Heard that token headsets fit perfect.
  • essex_stu
    edited September 2010
    Thanks for the advice guys. im going to send the Kore back and get a Easton Vice DH stem 50mm on order. Shieldsy, you dont know who has the token headset in stock do you. CRC dont have any in stock and dont know when they will be getting any more.

Found the token headset at Rutland cycling
  • Cancel that idea. I cant find a Easton Vice DH 50MM 31.8 anywhere. Any other good stems to look at?
  • Upto £50
  • Why not stick to the original plan of the Kore B-52? I had the 55mm version on mine and it was spot on.

http://www.highonbikes.com/kore-b52-mtb ... nhill.html

Leaves you with an extra £30 to spend on other shiny things too :D
  • phz
    phz Posts: 478
    edited September 2010
    stemiwse i have these on two of my hardtails and love them

(especially for the current price)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=3907

EDIT - ignore - forgot i dont run 31.8 bars (except - perhaps bizarrely - on my road MTB commuter thing)

slainte 8) rob
  • Either going to get the Kore in 55mm or the new Ragley stem in 55mm. Decisions Decisions
  • UPDATE. Kore B52 sent back and a 55mm version is on its way. Token 1.5 headset on way insted of hope headset and going to give EL Gallo freeride wheels a try insted.
  • Better update this list as all parts are either here or ordered and my frame and forks are currently having the headset fitted at the lbs so can finally start the build at the end of the week. The spec now is:

Forks: RS Revelation air u-turn 110-140mm
    Stem: Race face Evolve downhill 50mm
    Headset: Token 1.5 reducer

Front Brake: Shimano xt 203mm
    Rear Brake: Shimano xt 203mm

Shifters: Sram x7
    Front Mech: Sram x5
    Rear Mech: Sram x7

Cranks: SLX
    Chainring(s): SLX
    Pedals: Superstar nano tech purple

Front Wheel: Sun ringle equaliser rim on sun ringle hub 20mm

Back Wheel: Sunringle equaliser rim on xt hub qr

So as you can see the spec has changed quite dramatically but Im just looking forward to finally getting it built up.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    50mm stem, try Pro FRS or Gusset Staff, both great, light and inexpensive.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Already got the stem thanks mate. 50MM race face evolve downhill
  • Northwind
    Ooh nice 8) I need a new one I think, I've got 60s and 70s and both my bikes need 50s now and I've only got one of them :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Spec sounds awesome, but 203mm rotors on the back? Anything more than 160mm is just deadweight unless it's being used for extreme downhill. The best compromise on most bikes unless doing downhill is probably 180mm front and 160mm rear
  • I'm a big bloke though so an extra 200grams isn't going to make a massive difference to me. Finally started the build last night and have the forks,stem, bars, front mech, bb, crank and chainstay protector on. Taking pictures but my camera really does not do the colour justice
  • alexj2233
    alexj2233 Posts: 381
    It's not just a matter of weight, having too big a rotor on the back can mean that you lose some control and just end up skidding about, although this al depends on you weight etc, so everyone is different.

It'll be nice to see a green one, sort of wishing i'd gone for green now just to be a bit different.
  • It really is a fantastic colour, I just wish the camera would catch the colour more
  • Northwind
    Yeah, the green's the colour to have but a mate had already snaffled it so I had to settle for ugly blue. Still nice enough though. Might still get it powdercoated mind.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • UPDATE. everything is built and ready to go except the poxy x7 shifter has stopped worked so is currently off the bike and ready to be replaced with x9 shifters and a x9 rear mech. Oh how I love upgrades :lol: . Carbon bars next
  • How are you finding the mmmBop Essex? I think the green is much faster....Any Pics?
  • Yeh i think pics is slightly important when "showing off" your ride lol.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    hmm, id have to agree.... what does it look like?

:P
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Finished tonight, had nothing but trouble with front mech and rear shifter so changed shifters to sram x9 and front mech to Shimano XT and all works fine now. Pics will be up tomorrow with final spec
  • CIMG1576.jpg
  • CIMG1574.jpg

CIMG1569.jpg
  • essex_stu
    edited November 2010
    Forks: RS Revelation air u-turn 110-140mm
    Stem: Race face Evolve downhill 50mm
    Headset: Token 1.5 reducer

Front Brake: Shimano xt 775
    Front Rotor: Shimano 203mm rt75
    Rear Brake: Shimano xt 775
    Rear rotor: Shimano 203mm rt75

Shifters: Sram X9 trigger shifters
    Front Mech: Shimano xt m770 top swing
    Rear Mech: Sram x7
    Cassette: Sram pg970
    Chain: KMC X9 93

Seatpost clamp: Thomson

Cranks: SLX
    Chainring(s): SLX
    Pedals: Superstar nano tech purple

Front Wheel: Sun ringle equaliser rim on sun ringle hub 20mm

Back Wheel: Sunringle equaliser rim on xt hub qr

Front tree man sticker chosen by my niece
  • Only changes planned are Ritchey WCS carbon bars, Sram X9 rear mech and Thomson Elite seatpost
  • Its very nice mate, they really look like lovely frames, people are going to want Ragley to make some more now they're gone.

I bet the reason so many are popping up is because of CRC letting them go for £150, bargain. You'll never get anything better for that money. :wink: