smeev
smeev Posts: 105
edited September 2010 in Road beginners
Hi all,

Which would be the best wheels to buy form the following:

Mavic Askrium Race
Shimano RS30
Fulcrum 7's

On a tight budget & all reasonably price around the £130 mark on ribble. Need to get rid of the crappy alex rims on my spesh.

Thanks.
:D
Special eyes 4 ever....

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I wouldn't bother until the Alex rims wore out or broke, there won't be that much of an improvement there...
  • m00nd0g
    m00nd0g Posts: 176
    I have got to agree the wheels are not great.
    But they do the job
    Think to get better you need to double your budget and nice wheels like good tyres.
    Lots of people say how good PlanetX wheels are, they are also in your budget.
    Then they write on here about how long they lasted.
    You have been warned :wink:
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I wouldn't bother until the Alex rims wore out or broke, there won't be that much of an improvement there...

I'm with NapD. Use things until they wear out. Why wouldn't you? Also who says Alex rims are crappy? Possibly someone who looked at their price and since they don't cost half a million dollars, assumes they are crap?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I race on Alex rims sometines! In fact I've used an Alex rim front in all but one race this year... (I have a pair of Zipps to put that into perspective...)

Nowt much wrong with them.
  • m00nd0g
    m00nd0g Posts: 176
    I had a pair of Shimano 500s
    Spokes snapped and others came loose.
    Lost my trust in them.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Chances are you could save a considerable amount of weight by changing just the tyres and tubes! However if you really want to buy some new wheels for 130 quid it's difficult to go wrong with the Plant X B's, you'd need to spend at least twice as much to get some wheels at a similar weight.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I'd save through the winter and get some better wheels in the spring.
    More problems but still living....
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    Makes sense to use them through the winter but they are pretty poor wheels IMO

I have them and also bought some Kysyrium Elites-world of difference
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    most rims will be krap when paired with poor spokes and hubs which is the main problem with oem alex wheels. i found the rims ok.
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    I swapped Alex Rims with standard Conti tyres for Mavic Kyrium Equippes with Pro 3 Race tyres and a better cassette.

Saved around 400g and boy did I notice the difference. That was around about £300 all in though.

Save a for a few months and see if there's any 2010 bargains when the 2011 stuff is all out and try to get a bit more of an upgrade.
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • smeev
    smeev Posts: 105
    hi,

i will retract the "crappy" comment about the alex rimms, tbh they havent failed my yet in 10 months.
    I am just looking to upgarde my spesh on a limited budget. Have uprgraded my brake to 105 spec & will continue throught te groupset when i hav the sufficient funds.
    Will look a the planet x's tho.

Thanks
    Special eyes 4 ever....