Thinking of getting some tattoo's...

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    People are snobby about tattoos because ultimately there's a very direct and obvious link to criminals.

And who wants to be associated with criminals?

There's even a special section in the wiki entry on tattoos for its criminal association.
  • Oh my word...
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    To the op. Very explicitly, why do you want a tatoo?
  • jim453 wrote:

Why? Because I like the look of them, I like the idea of a permanent record of a part of my life, as I have said earlier I want to do things, big and small throughout my life and after consideration I want to do things and maybe ultimately regret them as opposed to regretting not doing things.

Currently I don't have any regrets and I'm really proud of what I have done!
    :D

To be honest this thread is getting a little obnoxious (not directed at anyone in particular). The intention was for discussion, not just a strange need for people to sneer at anyone who has done something they personally wouldn't. Maybe I phrased the op badly and I do apologise.
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    I quite like the idea of a permanent 'chain mark' on the inside of my right leg, half a dozen links or something.

Not sure if I'd ever convince meself to go through with it tho'.
  • brin
    brin Posts: 1,122
    [/quote]
    If you choose to festoon your limbs and nether regions with tattoos then it will spek volumes about you to people you meet, employers and prospective friends and partners. Be aware that their judgement of you may be very different to your own. I would draw some very definite conclusions abut you, as would many if not most others and I'm sure you wouldn't like those conclusions. Make sure you understand what those thoughts might be - you won't be able to change them and one day you may care more than you expect...[/quote]

so the F.A. have made a big mistake in using David Beckham as an ambassador for bringing the world cup to our shores?
  • What a lot of posters are forgetting is that tattoos are ancient. Even Ötzi the frozen 5000 year old man had 57 tattoos on his body.

I think if you want a tattoo you have to be serious and it must be a fundamental design that is important to you and not a commercial book design.

I think a lot of tattoos have lost a lot of their shock value and are now seen as naff. Any Celtic design is old hat. I'm sick of seeing women with a tattoo on their feet that looks like seaweed :wink:

My dad put me off tats years ago. He said "What you want those for? It'll be like staring at the same wallpaper and furniture for the next 50 years!". He was right for me, I hate looking at the same old things. I really don't have anything older then 12 years old.

BTW, how much does it cost now, because with an arm, chest and back of tattoos that would fairly close to the cost a good bike?
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • sylvanus
    sylvanus Posts: 1,125
    To be honest this thread is getting a little obnoxious (not directed at anyone in particular). The intention was for discussion, not just a strange need for people to sneer at anyone who has done something they personally wouldn't.

Its not obnoxiousness directed at you, or others, as an person(s) but at the message you're about to give, perhaps without realising it fully - we are trying to alter your thinking!

Try this: Every time I get on my bike, I'm awake to every sound and sign from cars, bike and pedestrians about me: looking for potential threats - its not a conscious process but after years of cycling, I can almost feel or sense trouble before it hits me. For example if I hear a van revving and braking hard behind or hear the noise of a tuned up boy-racer then I know to be careful. The noise of a throbbing sub-woofer, sight of custom spoilers, red paint, Karman stickers - each adds a point to the score. Now it may be that I'm wrong and that the driver is 45yrs old, careful and on their way to a teaching job at the LSE - its just very, very unlikely and I will stay well away from them.

You will make similar judgements, and draw different conclusions if you see a man in a pin-stripe suit or a plump girl in fishnets and a mini-skirt - we all make judgements all the time - we're biologically programmed to do so and it helps us stay alive. Tattoos are a very strong message - their origin is in tribal display, even war costumes and whether you like it or not. most people won't notice the Fausto Coppi references but they will draw definite conclusions about you, your character and your intelligence. I'd leave your body free of tattoos - its a work of art in itself - use clothes and your manner to communicate - they're much better at doing so.

:wink:
  • BenBlyth wrote:
    jim453 wrote:

Why? Because I like the look of them, I like the idea of a permanent record of a part of my life, as I have said earlier I want to do things, big and small throughout my life and after consideration I want to do things and maybe ultimately regret them as opposed to regretting not doing things.

Currently I don't have any regrets and I'm really proud of what I have done!
    :D

To be honest this thread is getting a little obnoxious (not directed at anyone in particular). The intention was for discussion, not just a strange need for people to sneer at anyone who has done something they personally wouldn't. Maybe I phrased the op badly and I do apologise.

hear hear, it has shown some rather holier than thou attitudes, its another one to add to helmets & RLJ's for a good barney :)

end of the day its your arm and if you want it you go for it. I like mine, they've been there a while now and I don't regret them, I had it done for me & I don't give a flying stuff for trend or the opinions of people on here or elsewhere.
    I quite agree on the criminal association of tatts though - I spend my days trying to put them behind bars. I like being in boats too, maybe someone could roll out the equally risible sailor cliches :roll:

to the preachers - why are you so getting so aeriated about what a complete stranger does to himself.

@brun - I've gt an oil mark of my front cog on my calf at the mo and have been looking at it reading this thread thinking I could go for that as a cycling memento :lol::lol:
  • sylvanus wrote:
    To be honest this thread is getting a little obnoxious (not directed at anyone in particular). The intention was for discussion, not just a strange need for people to sneer at anyone who has done something they personally wouldn't.

Its not obnoxiousness directed at you, or others, as an person(s) but at the message you're about to give, perhaps without realising it fully - we are trying to alter your thinking!

Try this: Every time I get on my bike, I'm awake to every sound and sign from cars, bike and pedestrians about me: looking for potential threats - its not a conscious process but after years of cycling, I can almost feel or sense trouble before it hits me. For example if I hear a van revving and braking hard behind or hear the noise of a tuned up boy-racer then I know to be careful. The noise of a throbbing sub-woofer, sight of custom spoilers, red paint, Karman stickers - each adds a point to the score. Now it may be that I'm wrong and that the driver is 45yrs old, careful and on their way to a teaching job at the LSE - its just very, very unlikely and I will stay well away from them.

You will make similar judgements, and draw different conclusions if you see a man in a pin-stripe suit or a plump girl in fishnets and a mini-skirt - we all make judgements all the time - we're biologically programmed to do so and it helps us stay alive. Tattoos are a very strong message - their origin is in tribal display, even war costumes and whether you like it or not. most people won't notice the Fausto Coppi references but they will draw definite conclusions about you, your character and your intelligence. I'd leave your body free of tattoos - its a work of art in itself - use clothes and your manner to communicate - they're much better at doing so.

:wink:

Absolutely spot on.
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    I think the judgement bit and all the references to criminality are a little over the top. If the guy wants to get one, (and thousands do and are pleased with them) then that is totally his business.

Just exercise a bit of thought and care I suppose. But you sounded like you were going to do that anyway. Get on with it. I hope it goes well.
  • DaSy
    DaSy Posts: 599
    I love the bit about being accused of being judgmental because I said people shouldn't be so judgmental, excellent debating skills.

There also seem to be a lot of very fashion conscious people arguing that they are so fickle that they wouldn't be able to cope with the same thing for many years. What about the skin on your arm without a tattoo, isn't that going to remain the same, how will you cope with looking at the same arm for the rest of your life?

To those that feel it is okay to make instant judgement on people because of their look, this sounds like a very intolerant attitude towards those that don't conform to your view of what is correct in this world.
    Complicating matters since 1965
  • rick_chasey
    Not that wikipedia is the authority on much, but anyway:
    Insofar as this cultural or subcultural use of tattoos predates the widespread popularity of tattoos in the general population, tattoos are still associated with criminality. Although the general acceptance of tattoos is on the rise in Western society, they still carry a heavy stigma among certain social groups.

the telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/5095 ... steem.html

as well as: http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/hea ... 75822.html

“The findings of this study suggest that tattoos are not just fashion accessories but driven by a wide range of motivational factors that are significantly associated with self-esteem.

“This strongly suggests that people consider getting tattooed should be encouraged to question their motivation before deciding to permanently change their appearance.”
  • DaSy
    Fantastic, our moral compass is guided by Wikipedia and the Daily Telegraph! And your suggesting that I have low self esteem...
  • rick_chasey
    DaSy wrote:
    Fantastic, our moral compass is guided by Wikipedia and the Daily Telegraph! And your suggesting that I have low self esteem...

*shrugs*

S'what the google search came up with! :wink:
  • DaSy
    That's okay then, I'll make sure I do a Google search before I make any life decisions from now on...
  • What's the difference between people with tattoos and people without? People with them don't mind people without. Heard this years ago and it seems it still applies.
    If suffer we must, let's suffer on the heights. (Victor Hugo).
  • rick_chasey
    DaSy wrote:
    That's okay then, I'll make sure I do a Google search before I make any life decisions from now on...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnsSUqgkDwU

Exactly.
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    I know I shouldn't be surprised or disappointed, but this thread has highlighted some of the most blinkered, narrow-minded, prejudiced views I've heard in years. If these people have such views on tattoos, I wonder what other bigotry exists in their tiny minds.

Jeez, what happened to live and let live?
  • I think tats are common and low class also, especially if you just have a tat that's in fashion at the current time, for example angel wings, tribal, barb wire, stars, climbing ivy, or something to do with football.

But if you design one yourself, as is unique to you, fair enough that's another matter. But even so if it's visible it's still not liked in a professional career. So have your at your own choice/risk..
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • Cressers
    Cressers Posts: 1,329
    Well it's his skin and if he wants to scrawl over himself then let him, but he did ask for our opinions.

That said I think one of the growth industries of the near future will be tattoo removal. Is anyone up for investing in a nationwide chain of "Ta-ta!" Tattoo removal franchises to be located next to Poundland in the downwardly mobile areas of this septic isle?
  • Not a fan, TBH. Particularly dislike them on women, regardless of whether that sounds sexist or not.
    "A gentleman who goes by the name Upgrayedd. Which he spells thusly, with two D's, as he says, "for a double dose of this pimping."
  • Cressers
    Cressers Posts: 1,329
    You're not alone. I wince when I see women disfigured by shabby tats. That said, the sort of women who get tattooed arn't the sort of women who interest me.
  • Cressers wrote:
    You're not alone. I wince when I see women disfigured by shabby tats. That said, the sort of women who get tattooed arn't the sort of women who interest me.

+1
    I was out with the GF a couple of weeks ago and saw a girl with tats on her neck & face. GF just turned to me and said ' a pretty girl ruined'. So true.
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Those tatoos a lot of women have on their lower backs are known as a "tramp stamp".
    They are the sort of women that interest me. :wink:

Seriously though, tatoos are now so commonplace and conventional it's more rebellious not to have one.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Cressers wrote:

Yeah, I think Kat Von D from LA Ink looks horrible despite her being a sexy witch. I wonder what she'll look like when she's 50 years old. As I previously mentioned I hate feet tattooed as it looks like seaweed stuck to them.

A small tattoo can look nice on a woman, but it has to be feminine and on the right place :lol:
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    I like tattoos and have been getting them for the last 20 years. Have another appointment for next week for my next one.
    I used to feel awkward because of what other people thought - the parents of one girlfriend didn't see my arms the whole 3 years I was with her - but now I don't care. My only regret is not having planned my first ones properly (poor artist and designs, too small). As previously stated, find a good artist (they mostly have internet sites so you can see their work) and talk to him or her.
    And remember: it's your body. You can do with it what you like. You can ignore the comments here about tattoos looking shit. You're writing in a forum where most users are men with shaven legs who have almost certainly been told at some point that they look stupid :D
  • DaSy
    Cressers wrote:

Angelina Jolie, Rihanna, Cheryl Cole/Tweedy, Megan Fox, Scarlett Johansen, Melanie Griffith, Jessica Alba, not your sort of women, fair enough.
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    The sort of women who get tattoos?

Nothing like a sweeping statement to demonstrate ignorance.
  • DaSy
    This excerpt comes from an interview on Pez Cycling here - http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=4394

This kind of sums up what I feel too -

"Trying to explain my motivation to permanently etch this phrase on my arm is like trying to explain to someone why cyclists sit on a sliver of plastic for 5 hours at a time spinning our legs in circles, through blazing summers and bone chilling winters. It’s the same reason we suffer up 2,000 foot climbs, our legs burning with lactic acid and why we scream down narrow mountain descents at 50 mph cheating death on every switchback. Words don’t do it justice – you have to do it to understand."