MTB Double or Triple Chainring for 10 speed

itrubes
itrubes Posts: 14
edited September 2010 in MTB general
So both SRAM and Shimano giving us 2x10 and 3x10 systems this coming year

Shimano
I quite like the idea of a 24t instead of 22t granny ring. As i don't think I ever really go in 1st or 2nd gear. Less of a drop from the middle ring as well. The 10 speed cassette is just gonna provide a wider range to use the middle ring in. These things all sound good to me, only slight improvements but better in my opinion.

My real issue is whether I should switch from a triple to a double chainring. From what i read these doubles are marketed around the "racing" environment. But i don't think i ever really use my 3rd ring on a conventional triple. Would i benefit from running a double instead? Then shimano' double are only on XTR this coming year arn't they?

Thoughts on this?

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Admittedly I'm on a race bike, but 2x10 all the way for me, I've been on a 42/28 with an 11-36 all year and it's spot on, do the vast majority of my riding in the big ring, just drop to the inner ring for really steep climbs.

I personally think Shimano have missed the point by sticking with a triple and making the ratios closer.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    39-26 sram double with a 12-36 cassette, more than enough for any rider, im pretty fit and loved it, and a mate who is not as fit as me found it no problem, and i agree with njee, shimano have missed a trick with not offering doubles on all groupsets, they're the future of mtbs im sure
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I'd go 2x10. Well, actually I'd go 2x9 :lol: Don't want to be an early adopter in mountain biking, that way lies high prices and failed products.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • I run a 2x8 right now and like it. I never ever use the largest chainring on the trails so it made sense to get rid of it. I removed something that never got any use and gained a little over an inch in ground clearance at the same time.
  • Cor most trail riders i see these days are running 2*9 it's nothing fancy :p bashguards on the chainset have been the thing to have since I was doing street 10-12years ago :s
  • My new bike is getting a 2x10 set up, 26/39 up front with 12-36 on the rear.