London Skyride on sunday

13»

Comments

• spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    The number who rode on the feeder rides probably totalled less than 200 out of the 85,000 at the event or 0.25% of those present.

They may have learned, but why ignore the other 99.75% of riders.

Its not either those on the feeder rides or on the main skyride, all need to learn how to cycle responsibly and safely
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • spen666 wrote:
    The number who rode on the feeder rides probably totalled less than 200 out of the 85,000 at the event or 0.25% of those present.

Its not either those on the feeder rides or on the main skyride, all need to learn how to cycle responsibly and safely

The feeder ride from Cutty Sark Gardens in Greenwich had around 300 last year

2009_0920Skyride0004.JPG

and there were more this year than last. Where did you get your figures from? Just one feeder ride out of many already exceeds your ''probable'' figure.
  • I very carefully took my 2 on some of the quieter roads from Victoria to the start. I started off by walking through the mini-shopping centre on Victoria Street then got on the bikes at the celarer side road. I sent Isobel (9) up ahead as I'm fairly confident of her riding and had Gabriella (7) in between with me being the rear guard, riding in primary to try and discourage drivers passing to close. This meant I could then yell instructions to the 2 of them and on the whole they did OK, Iz did have one near miss with a taxi when she pulled out a bit to far from a coach but on the whole the drivers where very respectful.

I did often find myself when on the ride hugging the kerb or central reservation as it left one less side for other riders to pass me on :-) I also do admit to on a couple of occasions after we got stopped at the crossings and the girls got a bit further ahead to being one of the racing a$$holes! Usually I got trapped behind a bunch of slow riders while the girls rode off ahead...as soon as I spotted a gap I did my usual checks and went off to catch them up.

Also another "small world" moment we managed to leave and walk over the bridge in St James as the same time as another parent from their school! Not sure what the chances are of that one but I think I may buy a lottery ticket this weekend :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • I very carefully took my 2 on some of the quieter roads from Victoria to the start. I started off by walking through the mini-shopping centre on Victoria Street then got on the bikes at the celarer side road. I sent Isobel (9) up ahead as I'm fairly confident of her riding and had Gabriella (7) in between with me being the rear guard, riding in primary to try and discourage drivers passing to close. This meant I could then yell instructions to the 2 of them and on the whole they did OK, Iz did have one near miss with a taxi when she pulled out a bit to far from a coach but on the whole the drivers where very respectful.

I did often find myself when on the ride hugging the kerb or central reservation as it left one less side for other riders to pass me on :-) I also do admit to on a couple of occasions after we got stopped at the crossings and the girls got a bit further ahead to being one of the racing a$$holes! Usually I got trapped behind a bunch of slow riders while the girls rode off ahead...as soon as I spotted a gap I did my usual checks and went off to catch them up.

Also another "small world" moment we managed to leave and walk over the bridge in St James as the same time as another parent from their school! Not sure what the chances are of that one but I think I may buy a lottery ticket this weekend :-D

Your post could have come from me, except I had a 14 year old as well.

We gingerly came down from (south of) Old Street roundabout to join the ride at Bank.

All was very calm, with very sympathetic drivers apart from one rude sod in a black cab who beeped us because we were in single file going past a left hand turn that he wanted to take.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    spen666 wrote:

DM, don't have a go at Spen, don't you know that 72.496% of statistics are made up on the spot. Its the other half that have a basis in reality.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    and there were more this year than last. Where did you get your figures from? Just one feeder ride out of many already exceeds your ''probable'' figure.

Over 200 on the feeder ride from Ravenscourt park (well, it was done as two separate rides).