Lights - Too good to be true??

lewishamilton
lewishamilton Posts: 138
edited September 2010 in Road buying advice
It's getting to that time of year when the nights are drawing in.
I currently have a smart lunar 35, but have been browsing the market for another light. I came across this website www.TorchyTheBatteryBoy.com

I can get the Cree 600 for £25. Which on face value looks to be excellent as its over 15 times brighter than my current light...or am I mistaken and being really naive?

Any advice, or recommendations would be great. Do you think I should get one, or think its money down the drain?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Nope, they are that bright!

YMMV with relaiability though.#

I have a P7 torch and a P7 Magicshine bike light from www.dealextreme.com

The torch and batteries still work fine but the MagicShine is farked fter 1 winter...

The torch was 35 quid with all mounts, batteries, charger and adaptor...
  • Top man.

I'll stay away form the MagicShine but out of interest, what was the other one you bought from that site?
    I typed in P7 but came back with 75 results and a lot of them don't include bike mounts.

Thanks for the heads up on dealextreme, bloomin cheap website
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    edited August 2010
    See "What Lights" and the now 99 page "discussion thread"...

For MTB I have:
    19189 TrustFire P7-F15 SSC P7-WC 3-Mode 900-Lumen LED Flashlight (1*18650) Main light
    14443 Ultrafire C1 Cree R2-WC 5-Mode Memory LED Flashlight (2*CR123A/1*18650) Helmet lights
    15642 Universal Bicycle Mount for Flashlights and Gadgets (2cm~3cm Diameter Adjustable) Attach P7 to bike
    12000 Universal Nylon Mount for Flashlights and Lasers Attach C1 to helmet
    13820 OEM 2*18650 Lithium Battery Charger (110V~240V AC) Charger for 18650s
    02709 Universal UK Travel Power Adapter Plug Adapter for charger
    05790 TrustFire Protected 18650 Lithium Battery (2500mAh 2-Pack Blue) Batteries
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • bartimaeus
    How long do you need your lights to last on one charge? I've not run my P7 (which is sku 19189... sorry) right down yet, but it seems to manage an hour on 'HIGH'.

However, the 'LOW' mode is not that bright on this one... so you may be better off with the 5-mode as this has HIGH/MED/LOW options... or just take a spare battery, which is what I do.

And yes, these lights are very bright. When you are hitting a bridle path through the trees at night, doing 25 mph, then you need some decent lights... that's why you will see so much interest on the MTB forums.
  • Absolute hero for that information.

On average I'll use the light for 90-120 minutes. I was going to get some spare batteries anyway, but I think the 5 mode light may be better (as it's purely for road use and the road condition is pretty decent, so it's probably not as essential for me to have the light on max at all times).
    My only predicament is the fact you have the 19189 light (tried and tested by your good self) and the 5 mode (13336) seems to be slightly different...

Out of interest, you said you have 19189, but on the thread 'what lights' you recommend 12623. Is it six of one, half a dozen of the other?
  • bartimaeus
    The 'What Lights' was sonic/dazza's summary of previous discussions, back in August 2009 ready for the winter. The 2 mode P7 recommended there was, I think, subsequently changed by someone in the long discussion thread - and I got my lights just after Easter using a mix of both, but to be honest if I had thought about it the HIGH/LOW sounds better than HIGH/LOW/SOS. I am sure either will be fine.

I'm not a lights expert by any means, but these lights are so much cheaper than the ones you will see in your LBS, and while a few people have noted some small issues with some of them in the discussion threads (which sound like quality control) they seem to be fixable with some judicious filing/fixing.

I've had no problems at all with my DX lights, and I have used them once or twice a week since Easter. They are the best investment I've made (after the bike), as I have been able to go out after the kids are in bed all summer... and soon they'll be the only way to keep riding during the week.
  • bartimaeus
    Just seen a new thread in MTB on 'lights' - and sonic has pointed at a 5 mode P7... so you have a choice! These lights switch on and off at the setting you last used - but if you want to switch modes you need to cycle through them, so more modes means more clicks to get what you want. Doesn't seem an issue to me... I have a 5-mode C1 on my helmet which I have on HIGH for dark woods and descending, but on MED for general night use and on-road (don't want to annoy the cars).
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Those P7's from DX are the dogs, tilt it up too much and you'll get car drivers flashing you :lol:
  • Bartimaeus, I've plumped for this light - 22569 -

There's so many to choose from its ridiculous. My only concern was this light seems to be D-BIn whereas some other are C-Bin. To be honest they all got similar reviews so I'm not too worried...

How long did your delivery take?
  • bartimaeus
    I think about 2 weeks... others have got theirs in about 10 days
  • 1400 lumens :-)

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.36018#open full view

Naff mounting though :-( Rubber bands :roll:
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • bartimaeus
    Yes, "Mickey Mouse"... seem to be generating some interest. For a better mounting see this suggestion.
  • sam_m
    sam_m Posts: 61
    Has anyone tried the magicshine rear light on this site?

Thinking of getting one of the 5-mode torches for the front (as a torch would be handy anyway), but need something for the back. Seems quite expensive, but then I was thinking of looking at the Exposure Flare as a rear light, which will retail at about £40, and I imagine this will be brighter.

Thoughts?
  • I plumped for a Smart Lunar 1/2 watt.

It's bloody bright and to be honest if cars can't see you with it, they shouldn't be on the road. You can pick them up for around £10 which is an absolute bargain.

It's kind of "where do you stop" scenario's.
    I wanted a rear light which would make me clearly visible and that stayed clipped in as some lights have fallen off before. This one ticks all the boxes for me.
    I don't see what other, more expensive rear lights can offer above and beyond the Smart Lunar
  • Smart Lunar is 1W, I've got the old 1/2 Smart. Which is very bright
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)