Garmin 705 advice needed

chill123
chill123 Posts: 210
edited August 2010 in Road buying advice
i've finally decided to pull the trigger on a garmin 605/705. just wondering what maps i should buy.

i'm planning on riding the etape next year so will not only need maps for the uk but also maybe italy/spain/france ias i plan to do a couple of training trips away.

will the City Nav Europe maps be sufficient or should I be looking to buy City Nav UK, City Nav France etc. DO the country specific ones have more detail?

any advice greatly appreciated.

ALSO - what is the best (ideally free) website to track/map rides on the internet using the gps data from the garmin?

Comments

• spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    dont buy one yet, the 800 is out in about 2 months and lots of people (myself included) will be selling off their 705 to get the 800.
  • chill123
    chill123 Posts: 210
    what delights will the 800 give me that the 705 doesn't have?
  • ricardo666
    ricardo666 Posts: 132
    I bought my 705 second hand on here after a guy had finished touring round europe.

Have a look at the raven family website, for its free open source maps
    http://www.ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps/
    the detail is pretty good for England, not sure how good the detail is in europe

I have used these maps to get me round moel famau, macclesfield, easy to up load gps maps from the net. not been abroad with it but appears to cover most of europe.

The only thing i dont like about the 705 is the handle bar mount, which snaps too easily.

You can also upload your routes to bikely or gpsies websites.
    If you fall off try again !

Trek EX8
    Handsome Dog XC01 with added ebay specials