Laurent Fignon RIP

Comments

• dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    iainf72 wrote:
    Lemond

He was one of the few riders who I really admired for his honesty and his frankness. We talked about a lot of different things outside of cycling and I was fortunate to really get to know him when my career stopped. I believe he was also one of the generation that was cut short in the early nineties because he was not able to fulfil the rest of his career. But he was a great rider

interesting Iain....when will we see the money earners who spend half the year on holiday do a Fignon and make a serious challenge for the Paris Roubaix and Milan San Remo titles in the same season they go to win the Giro and TDF..cycle racing died a death when Fignon left the sport...the end of that era completely, of complete riders...then again dodging blood tests that come with races probably encouraged that sort of prep. Contador's DNF of the 2nd half this season is an absolute disgrace, Armstrong a disgrace too for same atitude...take the money and walk. Evans could win Paris Roubaix, hope he goes for it out of respect to Fignon...not many serious crashes happen at PR so these fragile primadonas should be obliged to do full seasons
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Sad, sad news indeed.
    As already said, 50 is no age at all.
  • Very sad news. Even though we knew it was coming, it's still a shock having seen him commentating on the Tour just a few weeks ago.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Some good stuff from Robert Millar, which is worth a read:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/robert-millar-remembers-laurent-fignon
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • A sad loss, I remember watching him on TV (ITV's cycling coverage - what was that sport programme called?- virtually the only way to see pro racing on TV in those distant days) leading the Tour of Lombardy, well in the lead and his BB axle snaps.
    His temper was "Gallic", throwing water bottles at journos and spitting on the intrusive camera lens.
    One of the last greats, who when they put the peleton to the sword, you wouldn't think "What's he on?".
    :(
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • A sad loss, I remember watching him on TV (ITV's cycling coverage - what was that sport programme called?- virtually the only way to see pro racing on TV in those distant days) leading the Tour of Lombardy, well in the lead and his BB axle snaps.
    :(

World of sport. Where Laurent and the great man Robert first gripped me with cycling as a 10 year old. A very sad time.................as said, if only we had champs of the Professors sort nowadays
    Robert Millar for knighthood
  • Sad news, there was a photo somewhere of the rest day from this years Tour when Kelly and others rode the Tourmalet on 1910 bikes - the cafe at the summit with Fignon and Hinault sitting down and Fignon in full flow while Hinault could only sit there and listen... probably not an easy man but a great one. The photos of him in System U kit on a Raleigh with tricolour bar tape, total class, even to the end.
  • So sad to hear about Laurent Fignon. I was in my early 20's when he became TdF winner in 1983. I always looked out for him in cycling results simply because he wore glasses just like me, whereas all the other "greats" were handsome 20/20 visioned beasts.

RIP.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Start of stage 5 yday
    Reuters
    r1095660147.jpg

Large res:
    http://www.grassyknolltv.com/2010/vuelt ... R2HSWT.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Illustrious company
    700-RTR2HR9M.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Where's that pic from FF that's a good find
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    Dave_1 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Lemond

He was one of the few riders who I really admired for his honesty and his frankness. We talked about a lot of different things outside of cycling and I was fortunate to really get to know him when my career stopped. I believe he was also one of the generation that was cut short in the early nineties because he was not able to fulfil the rest of his career. But he was a great rider

interesting Iain....when will we see the money earners who spend half the year on holiday do a Fignon and make a serious challenge for the Paris Roubaix and Milan San Remo titles in the same season they go to win the Giro and TDF..cycle racing died a death when Fignon left the sport...the end of that era completely, of complete riders...then again dodging blood tests that come with races probably encouraged that sort of prep. Contador's DNF of the 2nd half this season is an absolute disgrace, Armstrong a disgrace too for same atitude...take the money and walk. Evans could win Paris Roubaix, hope he goes for it out of respect to Fignon...not many serious crashes happen at PR so these fragile primadonas should be obliged to do full seasons

Absolutely agree, 100% - very well said
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Some good stuff from Robert Millar, which is worth a read:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/robert-millar-remembers-laurent-fignon

That was great. THe Dijon TT anecdote was pretty cool
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Sad news, there was a photo somewhere of the rest day from this years Tour when Kelly and others rode the Tourmalet on 1910 bikes

Great pic of Laurent with Sean Kelly and Big Mig from that particular outing towards the bottom of this thread page:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthre ... 105&page=3

P.S. Sean Kelly fans may enjoy exploring the entire thread
  • dave_1
    micron wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Lemond

yes, we definitely agree on that Micron, two Milan San Remos wins and a 3rd in Paris Roubaix in the same 12-13 months in 1988-89 as Giro win, 2nd/tie at TDF 89 puts Fignon in the catgeory of the rare brilliant all rounders, above Greg though Greg in 85/86 had a 3rd at Milan San Remo and a 4th at Paris Roubaix to go with his 86 TDF win so in the same mould...they are a class above these multi-millionare part-timers. Sean Kelly also gets into the the Fignon/Lemond club, 1988 Vuelta with a Ghent Wevelgem win-1988 and Liege 1989...LanceA or Contador couldn't hold a candle to these three. I hope teams stop paying huge salaries to these part timers..
  • RichN95.
    Dave_1 wrote:
    yes, we definitely agree on that Micron, two Milan San Remos wins and a 3rd in Paris Roubaix in the same 12-13 months in 1988-89 as Giro win, 2nd/tie at TDF 89 puts Fignon in the catgeory of the rare brilliant all rounders, above Greg though Greg in 85/86 had a 3rd at Milan San Remo and a 4th at Paris Roubaix to go with his 86 TDF win so in the same mould...they are a class above these multi-millionare part-timers. Sean Kelly also gets into the the Fignon/Lemond club, 1988 Vuelta with a Ghent Wevelgem win-1988 and Liege 1989...LanceA or Contador couldn't hold a candle to these three. I hope teams stop paying huge salaries to these part timers..

There's different dynamics in teams these days. And they have more riders. Teams finally woke up to the idea that the best riders at GTs might not necessarily be the best riders at the Classics and structured their teams around a variety of riders rather have the same star with helpers in every big race.

I'd like to see Bjarne Riis's reaction if Contador demanded he be Saxo's leader in the classics instead of Cancellara.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Dave_1 wrote:
    micron wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Lemond

Fignon (as well as Kelly and Lemond) came from the end of an era of poor pay. The only way to ensure decent contract rates, endorsements and bonuses was to race as much as possible. You can't say that if Fignon had been presented with the opportunity to make good money for less racing (as is the case currently), he wouldn't have grabbed it with both hands.
    Lemond wasn't competitive all year, every year either. Kelly used to joke about how Greg would turn frequently up at early season races with a "fat bottom", to race himself fit.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • dave_1
    RichN95 wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

There's different dynamics in teams these days. And they have more riders. Teams finally woke up to the idea that the best riders at GTs might not necessarily be the best riders at the Classics and structured their teams around a variety of riders rather have the same star with helpers in every big race.

I'd like to see Bjarne Riis's reaction if Contador demanded he be Saxo's leader in the classics instead of Cancellara.

sometimes the best guys can do both. Evans could have a serious go at Paris Roubaix based on his rides at the Giro and TDF dirt track/cobble stage performances and Contador looks a bit of a slacker skipping worlds TT and Lombardy. Schleks..will they go to Lombardy?
  • dave_1
    LangerDan wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:
    micron wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Lemond

Fignon (as well as Kelly and Lemond) came from the end of an era of poor pay. The only way to ensure decent contract rates, endorsements and bonuses was to race as much as possible. You can't say that if Fignon had been presented with the opportunity to make good money for less racing (as is the case currently), he wouldn't have grabbed it with both hands.
    Lemond wasn't competitive all year, every year either. Kelly used to joke about how Greg would turn frequently up at early season races with a "fat bottom", to race himself fit.

Greg said in the summer he went for Paris Roubaix just cause he liked it. I reckon Fignon and Kelly went for the monuments cause they liked them and they were just very big races, not the diminished events the current crop are turning them into. Money has helped change things like you say but I wish the UCI points weighting was shifted to monuments, lombardy and worlds to force the part-timers into working earlier and later in the season
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Dave_1 wrote:
    micron wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Lemond

Since when did this post about a man dying turn into a slam LA & AC? Have you no shame or sensitivity?
  • dave_1
    dennisn wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:
    micron wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Lemond

Since when did this post about a man dying turn into a slam LA & AC? Have you no shame or sensitivity?

this a is a thread about remembering the great Fignon and that means comparing so people like you can learn what great bike riders are or should be.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Dave_1 wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:
    micron wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Lemond

this a is a thread about remembering the great Fignon and that means comparing so people like you can learn what great bike riders are or should be.

You mean comparing different eras 20 years apart so people can learn what it took to be a great rider then and what it takes now.

It's no disrespect to Fignon to recognise that, rightly or wrongly, things aren't the same now as they were in his day, making comparison largely pointless.

Anyway, it's a great shame that he's gone.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Dave_1 wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:
    micron wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Lemond

Don't know about anyone else but I find it disgusting, tasteless, idiotic, and a few other
    things I'll pass on for now, that you can turn a posting about a person who died of cancer
    into a sort of rant against other people. I don't think you're a pig, I know you are.
    My apologies to everyone who chimed in with condolences, but I had to say that. Even if this isn't quite the right the place for it.
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    No dennis, this is disgusting explotation of the memory of one of the true greats of the sport http://www.cityjournalistdirectory.com/ ... py___8680/
    The cynical use of Fignon's death as part of the Public Strategies defence is a real disgrace.

Thanks for all the great photos and memories - will be in Paris at the end of August so intend to pay my respects. I have a Super U jersey (only team jersey I've ever bought) that I once tried to get Fignon to sign (at the TdF stage finish in Brighton). He was typically 'Fignon' and, needless to say, I didn't get my autograph. So it'll be a fitting place for that jersey to end up.

Am absolutely gutted - he was a true legend and a proper hero of mine - was in the office when I heard the news and had to retreat to the ladies for a good blub. The passing of Fignon is, as Dave_1 points out, the end of an era for those of us who loved the true champions, the real greats who raced all season. And he was as brilliant off the bike as on it - the way he saved Paris-Nice, his superb work as a commentator. I'll miss his incisive, insightful thoughts at next year's Tour.

Here's a thought - ASO should rename the Prix de la Combativite the Prix Laurent Fignon in honour of a true fighter on and off the bike
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    .4952055649_1853317540.jpg
    I don't think Fignon would like to be remembered for that TT where he lost the Tour by 8 secs; I don't think he ever got over that defeat. I saw a documentary made about 10 years later where, in his dejection about that remembered day, he took the camera crew to the exact (calculated) spot where he lost the Tour, just near a lamp-post. He came over then, even though a decade later, as a beaten man.

My main memory of Fignon is more joyous. I'd rate the stage he took the yellow jersey for the first time in 1983 as one of the most exciting 6 or 7 Tour stages I've ever followed, all thanks to his fighting spirit that day.
  • knedlicky
    He inspired many cyclists growing up like I did in the 80s with his flair and his joie de vivre.
    His flair included a Ferrari and an Audi 200 Quattro, but his joie de vivre didn't include alcohol or meat, apart from occasionally ham. Probably no red wine or red meat was one of the reasons he had to take iron tablets, to help the blood carry more oxygen, like all anemic people (so not doping).
    LangerDan wrote:
    Fignon (as well as Kelly and Lemond) came from the end of an era of poor pay. The only way to ensure decent contract rates, endorsements and bonuses was to race as much as possible.
    Mountain training camps started to become more popular during Fignon's era, but he never liked them, one week at one per year was easily enough for him. He preferred races as his form of training, an attitude which probably many successful riders of his era had. So 'racing as much as possible' was also a matter of approach, not just of earning better money.
  • RichN95.
    knedlicky wrote:
    His flair included a Ferrari and an Audi 200 Quattro, but his joie de vivre didn't include alcohol or meat, apart from occasionally ham. Probably no red wine or red meat was one of the reasons he had to take iron tablets, to help the blood carry more oxygen, like all anemic people (so not doping).

That's not what he says in his book. A few stories of all-night sessions in there.
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    Some interesting reflections on Fignon here:

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fulls ... ame=Latest News
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    M.Rushton
  • knedlicky
    RichN95 wrote:
    knedlicky wrote:
    That's not what he says in his book. A few stories of all-night sessions in there.
    I haven't read his book, but Fignon said in an interview about 1987-1988 that he never touched alcohol because he didn't like the taste of either beer or wine. Maybe his tastes changed later?