Does anyone own an Orbea Aletta?

pianoman
pianoman Posts: 706
edited August 2010 in Road buying advice
Just wondered if there's any Orbea Aletta owners out there. It looks like an absolute steal, especially if I can get it as a frameset then spec it with Campag bits given that I've already got two sets of Campag wheels.

Any feedback? And anyone know somewhere in the North West I could get one from?

Comments

• chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    Sorry to be sceptical, but is it a steal? It looks to me like a branded up generic tri frame (same as planet X Stealth?), sold as standard with 105 and own brand mid depth wheels for £1500 which doesn't seem great to me. How would you get one as a frameset, or Campag equipped and what would that cost?
  • pianoman
    Well I've seen it as frame, fork, headset and seatpost for a decent price. I've sent a message to the guys at Epic to see what quote they can give me.

I was saying "a steal" without mentioning the fact that I would move my best Campag wheels to the Aletta and leave the "option" set on the Van Nicholas.

Which other alu tri frames are out there from a respected brand? Not many............
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    No not many alu tri frames, confess I thought this one was carbon :oops:

What's the price for the frameset then? I guess the obvious competitor if you want an alu tri frame is Ribble, whather that's a respected brand for you I don't know....
  • pianoman
    I guess the obvious competitor if you want an alu tri frame is Ribble, whather that's a respected brand for you I don't know....

HAHA loving the sarcasm, keep it coming :lol:

Actually, I looked at the Orbea for two reasons:

1. My LBS stocks that brand and are very good at getting in whatever you want
    2. I know a triathlete who's been very happy with an Orbea tri bike for many years now, so I can ask him any questions I want.

One bike I do remember, which doesn't seem to be around anymore, is the Wilier Lavaredo Crono alu version. It seems to have been discontinued - bizarre really when the demand for affordable tri bike is greater than it's ever been.