can i be ready in 4 weeks?

clunkychunky
clunkychunky Posts: 178
edited September 2010 in Road beginners
hi all

ive done sod all biking this summer as i have been working hard on getting a nice layer of flab for the winter (aka ive been sitting on my ass). i have been asked to ride a sportive in october with a few mates (who have been riding and racing throughout the summer).
id really like to do it but its in just 4 weeks time and is 100miles.

what are the chances of getting ready for it in 4 weeks?
is it possible? or should i back out now?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If you are wanting to ride it with them you need to ascertain whether they are doing it just for a laugh or to get a decent time. If it's a decent time you'll be lonely. If not, it's doable.

Just get on the bike and get plenty of miles in, have a few days' rest/light spin though before the event.
  • the autumn epic or something. its somewhere in wales, thats all i know.

they tell me they are riding it to complete it in the gold time. by that im not really certain what they mean. does it mean gold as in they want to win it??
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    the autumn epic or something. its somewhere in wales, thats all i know.

they tell me they are riding it to complete it in the gold time. by that im not really certain what they mean. does it mean gold as in they want to win it??

It usually means you get a "Gold Award" if you complete it within a given time limit, eg 4.5 hours.
  • 100 miles in 4.5 hours?? really??

ok then...think thats me pulling out. :cry:
  • 100 miles in 4.5 hours?? really??

ok then...think thats me pulling out. :cry:

It isn't necessarily 100 miles in 4.5 hours, check out the website...

http://www.cyclosportives.co.uk/epicTiming.htm

And the course is pretty tough as well...
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    Not bloody likely I'd say.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • Just lie and say you are over 60 (assuming you aren't!). Gives you an extra hour :)

Realistically, I don't think you should do this, it's too much in too little time..
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    I was going to do Autumn Leaves in Essex but haven't done enough and am away for motor racing events for the next two weekends. I have decided I would rather do it with the knowledge that I can complete it respectably, than attempt it and fail.

I only found out about it two weeks ago so am not too worried but I will be prepared for next season.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Pretre
    Pretre Posts: 355
    pst88 wrote:
    Not bloody likely I'd say.

+1 & absolutely definitely not at your racing mates pace
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    4 weeks - no chance... In 7 or 8 weeks you could maybe get into to some sort of half decent shape if you have been there before (i.e. you are an experienced cyclist).

BUT - why not just enter the event anyway (and train for it as much as you can), but tell your mates that you won't be able to ride with them. You can still turn up with them, meet them at the end and talk about it afterwards in the pub. You may even be able to ride with them for the first few miles (although be careful not to burn yourself out by hanging on too long). Just make sure they understand that they are under no obligation to wait for you. There's no reason to get depressed about being dropped if you're expecting it to begin with!
  • cheers for all the advice.

i finally got of my behind and went out on the bike last night. i managed 34 miles in 2 hours and 3 mins. no real steep climbs in it, just a couple of long drags. felt completely shattered at the end of it tho and do ache a little today.

the epic is 4 weeks on sunday.

my mates have already entered it, but on the website the closing date is the 19th sept, so i think i might see how much i can get in before then and make a decision on that day.

the only thing that concerns me about doing it if im not ready is the effect it will have on my confidence. if im dropped and dropped fast then i fear that i will lose enthusiam to ride in any competitions in the future. does that make sense?
  • The area is a terrific place to ride, even if you don't complete the full distance with your mates. Maybe enter it and take the short cut shown on the route?
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    i finally got of my behind and went out on the bike last night. i managed 34 miles in 2 hours and 3 mins. no real steep climbs in it, just a couple of long drags. felt completely shattered at the end of it tho and do ache a little today.
    That's not too bad if you've been doing no exercise at all. Concentrate on upping the distance but trying to keep the speed about the same. If you can do 60 miles at 17mph on your own, you should be able to hang with a group in the sportive for 100 miles (although probably not the one your mates are in).