Self adhesive patches/ for high pressure tyres or not?

saladfunky
saladfunky Posts: 130
edited September 2010 in Commuting general
Anyone had any success with using self adhesive puncture patches with high pressure 700 c tyres running at 100 psi? I thought they were great untill in the last lot of wet weather they started to leak and every day I got a flat! Gone back to the traditional vulcanizing type which I never had any troubles with for over 20 years. Maybe there are good ones and bad ones. I saw one make in a shop which did say "not suitable for high pressure tyres" !!! Is this the case for all of them? I like using them but if they don't last I wont bother.
:?
Trek Emonda and Kiron Scandium on the road and Cube ltd Team for the rest .Also a retired Holdsworth Professional. Love Cycling!!

Comments

• Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I'm interested in this too. Was out with a few people from BR yesterday and had 3 punctures!! In the end had to fix a tube to carry on and was talking to one of the others who said that the Park Tools self adhesive patches are brilliant but I've always used the old fashioned type....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • mcj78
    mcj78 Posts: 634
    I've used the Park Tools Superpatches or whatever they're called for a couple of years without any incidents - thought one had failed a few days ago but it turned out I had 2 simultaneous punctures, one glass, one snakebike. They seem to hold up pretty well, my road bike tyres run at around 100psi and can't say i've noticed any leaking - dunno how they'd compare side by side with a "proper" puncture repair kit under long-term test conditions but personally I don't think i'd go back to the old method - have a couple of "emergency" tubes that look like a chess board with the things and i'd certainly use them again if I noticed I had a flat tyre in the morning & no fresh tubes.

J
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    I've used the Toppeak ones running at just shy of 100psi for 6 months, and now problems so far.

Apart from all the rubbish on the roads making me use them a lot...
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • saladfunky
    saladfunky Posts: 130
    Interesting thanks, I have read reviews on the park tool ones and one chap recommends you semi inflate the tube when you fit the patch. This is not the way for the traditional vulcanising glue method. Does anyone else go along with this idea of semi inflating when you put the self adhesive patch on?
    The ones I've used are called scabs by slime, but just bought some called leeches and these actually say only for BMX/MTB tyres, not suitable for hight pressure tyres!!! Interesting?
    Punctures are such a pain!! :x
    Trek Emonda and Kiron Scandium on the road and Cube ltd Team for the rest .Also a retired Holdsworth Professional. Love Cycling!!
  • mcj78
    mcj78 Posts: 634
    saladfunky wrote:
    Does anyone else go along with this idea of semi inflating when you put the self adhesive patch on?

I've thought about this - kinda makes sense as I would imagine the patch would be stretched less when you do inflate to full pressure, than it might be if you applied it to a completely flat tube then fully inflated it. I haven't had any problems using them on road or MTB tyres though & I don't bother semi inflating before applying.

Here's a link to the Park ones: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Park_ ... 620887595/ have a read through the comments for re-assurances

Or with levers included (had a set for 10+ years & still going strong): http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Park_ ... 000000056/

J
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • I have been using the Park patches recently, under 25mm stelvio (now durano) plus tyres (pinch flats :evil:). They have only been in place for 6 weeks or so, so no experience on durability, but working fine at the moment. Running at 8 bar/ 120 psi ish.

I have used 4. 3 were/are fine, the 4th died after 2 days. That was the only one I applied while the tyre was slightly inflated. When deflated the patch wrinkled and formed a channel in the wrinkle from the puncture to the edge. Not much use, that :roll:
  • Yeah I think the patches are designed to be applied to a flat or nearly flat tube and then to stretch when inflated. Just don't inflate a patched tube much before it's back in the wheel.
  • Sounds like topeak or park patches are recommended so will give them a go. Thanks for the responses. I have now bought a new conti gartor skin tyre and 4 tubes on line, chucked all my old tubes. A fresh start.
    Hope all your tyre pressures remain high.
    Chris
    :)
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Self adhesive patches are the best thing since sliced bread ;)
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • saladfunky wrote:
    Sounds like topeak or park patches are recommended so will give them a go. Thanks for the responses. I have now bought a new conti gartor skin tyre and 4 tubes on line, chucked all my old tubes. A fresh start.
    Hope all your tyre pressures remain high.
    Chris
    :)
    If you have a price-match-friendly shop near (e.g. Evans?) and want the Park patches (in their nice little hard case), then you should be able to find them for £2.09 or near, online. A quick google should find them.
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    i have these which come in a rather nice alloy box

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=24777

you can buy more replacement patches for £1.99

they work just as well as the old fashioned vulcanised style glue patches