Which Merino wool base layer?

birdy247
birdy247 Posts: 454
edited September 2010 in Road buying advice
Looking for a warm, well fitting base layer. I am guessing merino wool is the warmest. Does anyone have any recommendations that doesn't cost the earth?

Thanks

Comments

• moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    i've a 150 icebreaker shortsleaved T-shirt (£35 iirc) and a long sleaved Icebreaker 200 tshirt (£45 iirc)

brilliant bits of kit.
  • surreyxc
    surreyxc Posts: 293
    second icebreaker, and those weights are just what I use. Finisterre are also do good Merino . Steer well clear of Swobo, incredibly overpriced and nothing special.
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    If you can get the Rapha bundle offer then they're very good value and work really well
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    My brother bought a couple of merino tops from Ground Effect NZL last year. He rates them highly:

http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/products-MER.htm

Shipping was surprisingly prompt and prices seem competitive to what's available in the UK. I've seen some really good reviews in various magazines too.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    I've got an Icebreaker and rate it - better than the Endura BaaBaa.
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    Another Icebreaker fan here. I've got a short sleeve Atlas 150 that I wear Spring/Summer/Autumn and a long sleeve Atlas 200 that I wear in the winter. Excellent bits of kit IMHO.
  • The Mechanic
    The Mechanic Posts: 1,277
    +1 for Icebreaker 200.
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    I have some Howies NBLs (they also do a light version) that have seen me through 5 winters, but they ain't cheap.

Zque accredited is good, if you care about that kind of thing.

Strava is not Zen.
  • gbs
    gbs Posts: 450
    AidanR wrote:
    I've got an Icebreaker and rate it - better than the Endura BaaBaa.

Agreed.
    vintage newbie, spinning away
  • tigerben
    tigerben Posts: 233
    +1 for Merino.

I have a few Rapha tops which are very good - although they appear to have pushed the price of the bundle up recently (used to be 3 for £90 now £120 ish) so instead I recently bought a couple from Orca (available through Wiggle) and have been very impressed so far - with fit, comfort and quality.
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    The BaaBaa works fine for me, plus I have a Blacks own-brand one.

Merino can be a bit itchy at first but will soften after as few washes.

Both abt £30
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    calvjones wrote:
    I have some Howies NBLs (they also do a light version) that have seen me through 5 winters, but they ain't cheap.

Zque accredited is good, if you care about that kind of thing.

+1

cheaper if you buy them through the Howies outlet store in Cardigan.. ;)
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    jordan_217 wrote:
    My brother bought a couple of merino tops from Ground Effect NZL last year. He rates them highly:

http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/products-MER.htm

Shipping was surprisingly prompt and prices seem competitive to what's available in the UK. I've seen some really good reviews in various magazines too.

Yup. I have a merino sleeveless and sleeveless with windguard and am very pleased with both. Good quality, very warm and inexpensive. Prices are shown in NZ dollars so don't be put off before converting and shipping has always been fairly fast considering the distance.
  • juankerr
    juankerr Posts: 1,099
    I've got a couple of Trekmates top and an Icebreaker (I think). Once Autumn hits I'll be Merino'd up to the hilt until March. I might have to treat myself to one of those Groundeffect jerseys though.
  • Ortovox base layers are superb, way better than the howies or endura ones that I own. You can get them from the facewest website. They fit really well, keep their shape and are realy hard wearing. 10/10
  • Craft make some really nice baselayers, not merino wool, so may not be of interest, but they're pretty warm, think you can get them from Wiggle and Pro Bike Kit.