JOGLE sponsors.........

2»

Comments

• prb007 wrote:
    ok, where to start......
    1.It IS a big deal for me - I'm the wrong side of 45 and the wrong side of 100kgs, so it will be a challenge.
    2. I'm coercing 8 or 9 friends and colleagues into it and I like to think that when we're up against it, doing it for charity may be the extra impetus we need.
    3. If I suggested JOGLE to said mates and colleagues, they'd wonder why we weren't doing it for charity.
    4. None of us are experienced at this sort of thing, so having a van (especially when offered one for free by Corus UK) is a bit of a security blanket for us.
    5. Freebies they may be, but several more companies (Mule Bar, Power Bar, Brecon Carreg water and our LBS) seem to disagree and are all willing to help out, as well as our pre-1st day digs (cheers all at the Bridge Hotel, Helmsdale for the half-price B&B)
    6. We hope to raise over 10k between us, but at the same time none of us want to blow £5/600 to complete it(most of us are family men with kids - hence the choice of charity)

It wasn't a big dial for me on the wrong side of 48 and the wrong side of 130kg.

LEJOG isn't really being up against it.

I refused to do my ride for charity because I discovered from previous sponsored events that it was dead easy for folk to say that they'd pay and a different matter when I saw them turn on their heels after the event to avoid having to pay up. I too me six weeks to extract the money from folk who'd all pledged the cash in the space of a working day.

I also didn't want the have the onerous responsibility of having to deliver - I've met more than a couple sponsored riders who were suffering for the sake of completing a ride for their sponsors.

I wasn't experienced at that sort of thing. I did the ride unsupported as I believe all LEJOG riders should. The money used for support wpould surely be more beneficial to the charity and not the 'security' of the riders.

If riders don't want to sacrifice their time and money then they shouldn't do the ride. I thought that the whole idea of sponsored events was for the participants to fund their own participation unless there is something of value to potential sponsors.

Like I said in my original post - corporate sponsorship is not a given - the event is not unique or rare enough to make it high profile anywhere other than on your own patch.

Good luck with the ride. It will be memorable.
  • prb007
    prb007 Posts: 703
    At the risk of getting this thread back on track, my original questtion was

'Anyone had any experience/success in getting sponsors
    for this kind of event; any tips or contacts gratefully received.'

The sponsors are mounting up, the charity money is rolling in,
    people stumping up cash up front, friends, relatives & colleagues
    wanting to help out, good to see that everyone is not as cynical as bikeradar
    forum members.........

http://joglemay2011.blogspot.com/
    If Wales was flattened out, it'd be bigger than England!
    Planet X Ti Sportive for Sportives & tours
    Orange Alpine 160 for Afan,Alps & dodging trees
    Singlespeed Planet X Kaffenback for dodging potholes
    An On-One Inbred for hard-tail shenanigans...
  • Ive been trying for the last few months (on and off) to get some sponsors as was thinking about setting up a cycling team with the intention of riding for a whole range of charities.

Most of which I have had no replies, but got a few so just keep trying. Unfortunately, like a lot of people on here have said you really do need a unique selling point before a lot of big companies will donate anything.

Good luck with your ride and your sponsorship goal, Im actually planning to ride LeJOG next year myself, but its only in the idea phase right now.

One thing, without sounding too critical, you may actually want to have a link to your JustGiving page on your blog as it really does look like one big advertisement lol

Good luck :)
  • prb007

One thing, without sounding too critical, you may actually want to have a link to your JustGiving page on your blog as it really does look like one big advertisement lol

Good luck :)

there was one - it must've slipped down to the second page!
    will sort it asap - cheers
    hope you clicked on a few ads - they generate revenue for the charity :wink:
  • OK lol, I just thought it was weird not having a link. Maybe it would be better to put the link in your profile so its permanently there

Will do :)
  • d70ar9
    d70ar9 Posts: 139
    I did LEJOG this year - thought it was going to be a challenge after dislocating my knee a couple of months before setting off but it was really easy. It is also way to corporate - what is up with having to pay to have your picture taken at either end...I did raise money for charity just short of £2000 but i funded the trip myself and wouldn't have had it any other way. You will get most of your sponsorship from friends and family don't expect any random people to donate as LEJOG is far to common for anyone else to care these days. Good luck though
    'All that is solid melts into air' Marx and Engels
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    It is also way to corporate - what is up with having to pay to have your picture taken at either end.

Eh? Who stops you taking your own photos when you get there?
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    prb007 wrote:
    The sponsors are mounting up, the charity money is rolling in,
    people stumping up cash up front, friends, relatives & colleagues
    wanting to help out, good to see that everyone is not as cynical as bikeradar
    forum members.........

http://joglemay2011.blogspot.com/

You should also bear in mind that BR forum remembers won't see JOGLE/LEJOG as an epic journey - certainly not to the same extent that a non-cyclist would.

You'll certainly get sponsorship from those who see this as a once-in-a-lifetime, big-deal trip, but as others on have mentioned, lots of BR forumites would make the trip for free or as a holiday.
  • d70ar9
    d70ar9 Posts: 139
    MrChuck wrote:
    It is also way to corporate - what is up with having to pay to have your picture taken at either end.

Eh? Who stops you taking your own photos when you get there?

I had to pay to have my picture taken in front of the sign - the area was roped off couldn't avoid it - utter joke. Took some photos myself but had to buy the official one
    'All that is solid melts into air' Marx and Engels
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Blimey - if i had to give money to everyone who asked for it, I'd be bankrupt. I give to charities that mean something to me, and to friends and relatives doing things.

Whilst I'm sure its a very worthy cause - its not a charity near me, or one that means anything to me. So its unlikely I'd sponsor you.

You really need to hit the local press and get your story on there. Speak to the hospice - surely they have expertise in this field too.

Badmouthing BR forum members on your blog wont win you any friends or sponsorship from anyone on here.

FWIW - I want to do an end to end one day - if your team wants to do it, I dont see why they shouldnt pay their own expenses. As you say - if they dont want to fork out the money themselves when they can ask for sponsorship - why should we sponsor them ?

Most of us here love riding our bikes so LE-JOG wouldnt be a chore.
  • Teach
    Teach Posts: 386
    Monkeypump wrote:
    Not everyone has a USP, but not everyone is asking for sponsors.

Why should anyone sponsor you if they can see little or no return on their investment?

Good on Eat Natural for giving you something, but I'd see that as a good-will donation and possibly the minority response rather than the norm.

Sorry what is USP or what is a USP?
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    google it and get an instant answer - unique selling point
  • prb007
    cougie wrote:
    You really need to hit the local press and get your story on there. Speak to the hospice - surely they have expertise in this field too.

Badmouthing BR forum members on your blog wont win you any friends or sponsorship from anyone on here.

Leaving the local press thing until closer to the date .

Got a meeting with the hospice liaison tomorrow.

If you think calling BR forum members 'naysayers'
    (which I did in my blog) is 'badmouthing', then you
    obviously have a very good mouth!

Once again, we are paying for the trip ourselves.
    We now have a dedicated driver, so will be riding the whole distance

Other members of our team (now nine strong+driver) are also busy
    fundraising and we are well on the way to meeting our target of 10k.

If I knew a way of ending a forum discussion, I'd do it now, because
    any credible, useful answers to my my initial post have been lost in
    a sea of 'naysayers' and those who would rather snipe at and demean
    the whole enterprise than offer constructive, useful criticism.

Without exception, friends, relatives and work colleagues have been supportive,
    encouraging and for the largest part, massively impressed by our endeavours - the polar opposite it would seem, to most that have posted here.
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Me and 3 friends have been training for 6 months to get into the Cingles, which we did. Its gonna be very very difficult to get any sponsorts onboard for LeJog, perhaps your employers will be willing to chip in to sponsor clothes?

We just put into a kitty each and bought energy gels, drinks, accom, diesel etc out of it (2100 miles of driving to Bedoin and back). If you are looking for jerseys i recommend eBay, i designed some Tom Simpson replica style outfits with our names on for about £40 a piece from Hong Kong. Also topped it up with checkerboard caps and socks from Prendas.

Good luck in your efforts, sounds a rewarding ride!
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....