Stem for MmmBop

shinobishoryuken
shinobishoryuken Posts: 59
edited August 2010 in MTB buying advice
As one of my previous posts mentions, got an Mmmbop for self build but haven't got any experience so apologies for my questions.

A few of you on the forum have bought this frame, just wondered what stem and bars you put on, eg. Stem length and frame size etc. And what bars.

I know the spec on ragley says 50-70mm stem optimal but has anyone gone either side of these figures?

I have a 20" kona hoss that I run a 110mm stem but I do get back ache on long rides.

My mmmbop is 18" and I want to be able to chuck it around without the steering being too twitchy.

I have seen the Truvativ stem and bar sets going cheap on Merlin but not sure about the 40mm stem.

Comments

• Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    It will be hard to tell you..don't know your height or reach...the only person that can really decide is you..all makes have different geometry and different stem sizes..usually I have to replace as I have log arms !

The best way would be to take your bike along to a local shop and offer different stem lengths next to yours to try and gauge what feels comfortable...easy
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    you need a shortish stem as the slack head angle (67.5deg) would make it steer too slowly with anything longish. It's not just about about your position on the bike (i.e. sore back) but how the bike steers.

I'd say try a cheap 70/80mm and go from there.

If you stick a 110 on it then it definitely won't be twitchy :wink:
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • frogstomp
    frogstomp Posts: 412
    I bought a 75mm Kore B52 stem for mine before I knew about the 50-70mm recommended length..

4906906217_b390a06049.jpg

They do them in 55mm and 65mm too.. £21.50 from HighOnBikes. Seems to work fine, although I am tempted by the 55mm one just to see what difference it makes (as it's my first 'slack' bike)..

Alternatively, eXotic do a 60mm stem for about £12.. not as showy as some stems but does the job of connecting your bars to your steerer![/url]
  • I've got that Kore stem in white from highonbikes in 55mm. I was using it on my Mmmbop before I replaced it with the Chromag stem I've got on there now.