Giant Expert Series X1500

sblewer
sblewer Posts: 16
edited August 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hello, not sure if this is the right section for this post as to be honest not sure what you would call this bike, I suppose you could say it's a hybrid.

Anyway a neighbour of ours has given me a bike for my daughter, not in the league of most of the bikes you guys have I know but it's a start.

Anyway, I'm certain its a fairly old bike and over the years it looks like certains parts have been replaced with a mismatch of bits.

I have had a look at what it has and this is what I have found:

Shifters - SRAM SRT 600 Gripshifts
Brake Levers - Dia-Compe Direct Pull DP-7
Front Mech - Shimano A (Thats all I could find on it)
Rear Mech - Shimano STX RC

Quite strange really as it has 7 cogs on the back but the shifters are 9's.

Anyway I would like to update this lot but dont want to spend a fortune and to be honest I have no idea what to buy.

Could anyone give me an idea of what to look for or where to start please, I dont mind the idea of buying second hand from someone on here or off Ebay, just dont know where to start really.

Any advice would be grateful.

Thanks

Steve

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Can you take a couple of photos and post them so we can get a better idea of spec? Anymore you can list would be helpful too.
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Hi Steve, yes it's a good few years old, it's a early Hybrid so a mountain bike crossed with a MTB.. they did a gents and ladies version (no top tube) the front mech is probably either Altus or Acera..to be honest the spec is quite basic, so I would let her ride it as it is. Not sure what kind od things you would want to upgrade but I would say it's really not be worthwhile..you would be better flogging it on and getting her to save some money and look on ebay..
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !