Miles put in driving

wobbem
wobbem Posts: 283
edited September 2010 in MTB general
Just wondering how many miles you guys are driving per week just to get out to your favourite trails.

With winter coming I'm thinking of night rides but the thought of driving with London traffic at rush hour home time is unnerving me. :?
Don't think, BE:

Comments

• hoochylala
    hoochylala Posts: 987
    Hmm, currently 150 miles total every weekend to get the peak district - I can't see me not travelling there in the winter though, the riding is too bloody good :)
  • Most of the time I'll pedal straight out the door, plenty of riding to be had starting from the end of the street. Other times I might drive 5 or 10 miles, for something different, or when riding with mates - yeah, I'm lazy. Further excursions are more special occasions, so not too often.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    14miles to Lee Quarry which is only sometimes worth the effort. say once every few months.
    80miles to Dalby Forest once every few months.
    8 miles or so in the car each weekend to get vary my starting location around local trails. Sometimes start from the door.
    Having a big car helps as I can just chuck everything in and get off.
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    From work to Cannock Chase: 7 Miles x 5 weekdays = 35 + extra mileage home = 70/week
    Home to Cannock Chase: 30 miles either way, so 60 x 2 days = 120
    All in all: 190 miles / week
  • Did 420 miles round trip to Do the Mach trails last week!
  • I ride my bike 12km to my riding buddies house just to start a 50km ride, then another 12km ride back to my place. Ride everywhere, don't take the care. If you can't do it, train harder to get to the point where you can!
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    to the trails, i'm blessed and i can ride straight from my house to cwmcarn in about 40 mins off road. but i drive around 400 miles per week back and forth to work, swings and roundabouts :D
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    Today did 200miles to Afan , ride Whites and some final descent of Skyline then 200miles drive back. Otherwise on normal days going to Surrey Hills/Swinley/Aston you do clock up some 100s of miles.
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    40ish miles to Delamere and back
    60 to Rivington and back.
    100 to 'degla so I've only been the once

Used to ride from my house to Rivi but that was when I lived in Wigan.

I've found nothing worth riding in Liverpool.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • wobbem
    wobbem Posts: 283
    Good to see non of us a greenies then :twisted:
    Don't think, BE:
  • BenS999
    BenS999 Posts: 202
    between 60-100 miles each weekend to get to various trails from London (SW). Every couple of months a trip to Wales but try to ignore the mileage for that, not cos im green, i'm just a tight arse and dont want to think of the petrol money out there! :oops:
    2011 Orange Five Pro
    On-One Pompetamine Alfine Comp
  • I ride my bike 12km to my riding buddies house just to start a 50km ride, then another 12km ride back to my place. Ride everywhere, don't take the care. If you can't do it, train harder to get to the point where you can!

Nice idea, a little naive though

I get out every Thursday night to the lake district all year round. Driving between 15-40miles each way. Also do weekend rides

The thought of having a 30 mile road ride,followed by 12-20 offroad then another 30 miles home on the road would make going out on an evening impossible. It would also make a day ride all day

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • LjStronge
    LjStronge Posts: 287
    I now in Speen, Princes Risbrough, which is in the middle of the Chilterns, so no driving neccesery there.

Swinley (Where I have just moved from) is on the way home from work, so no need to drive there.

It's only the weekends that I need to drive to Swinley and that's only 35 Miles.

I think I am lucky really to be so close, still, I would drive over an hour easy to get to Swinley, I love it.

When we go to Afan there is 4 of us in my mates big old Volvo, so we share the petrol money there.

I don't think anything would stop the MTB'ers from getting to the trails, no matter where you live!
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp 2009.
  • 2200 miles last week to get to Morzine and back, and i would do it again tomorrow.

Nice idea, a little naive though

I get out every Thursday night to the lake district all year round. Driving between 15-40miles each way. Also do weekend rides

The thought of having a 30 mile road ride,followed by 12-20 offroad then another 30 miles home on the road would make going out on an evening impossible. It would also make a day ride all day

C'mon, 30 iles pre ride, fair enough, but people qoting 5 miles or so driving to get to the trails?? gotta be easier to just cycle it than faff with getting the bike in and out of the car, parking etc.....