chainsets - double or triple for cross?

sadexpunk
sadexpunk Posts: 58
edited August 2010 in Road buying advice
only need a chainset now to finish my jake the snake. and im struggling with getting one sorted. its gonna be used for mainly commuting, but i do want to be able to do a bit of cross on it.

pretty sure i want compact (50/34) but at first i thought a double to keep weight down. was offered a nice sram rival for £85, but by the time i got the bb shell faced (for the external bb) then youre talking over a ton. i was hoping for half that :-/

im now on the verge of getting a campag mirage double, but then i need to source a campag bb, and also a specific tool.

now my mate has suggested a triple will help me get up the off-road hills!

what do i do? i could really do with a slightly older type of shimano, so i can use an octalink bb im thinking? save on facing the bb shelll?

what do you reckon? the more advice i get the better so i can weigh it all up :-)

thanks

Comments

• Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    sadexpunk wrote:
    only need a chainset now to finish my jake the snake. and im struggling with getting one sorted. its gonna be used for mainly commuting, but i do want to be able to do a bit of cross on it.

pretty sure i want compact (50/34) but at first i thought a double to keep weight down. was offered a nice sram rival for £85, but by the time i got the bb shell faced (for the external bb) then youre talking over a ton. i was hoping for half that :-/

im now on the verge of getting a campag mirage double, but then i need to source a campag bb, and also a specific tool.

now my mate has suggested a triple will help me get up the off-road hills!

what do i do? i could really do with a slightly older type of shimano, so i can use an octalink bb im thinking? save on facing the bb shelll?

what do you reckon? the more advice i get the better so i can weigh it all up :-)

thanks

Use a 50/34 compact on my cross bike, but only because it came with it (???). It's ok for steepish trails and the like, but to be honest, not great for 'cross racing. A bit of a compromise, so ok if you're using it for commuting, or as a training bike etc. Will be changing it for a 46/38 or something similar soonish.
  • so youll be able to sell it me for mucho cheapness then eh? ;-)
  • Nack
    Nack Posts: 61
    How about one of these:
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CSFSGCC/fsa-gossamer-cyclo-cross-chainset-megaexo

That's what I've got on my PX Uncle John (with a 11-28 cassette) and it does the job brilliantly.
  • 2 things with that nack. firstly 46 top gear? im thinking id need bigger for my commute?

and secondly the integrated bb. oversize bearings etc. isnt that the same sort of thing as shimano ones, where id need my shell facing? so add another £20 on top of that?

thanks
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Yes - most riders ride doubles - typically 36/46 - you rarely get the chance to use the big ring and likewise anything lower - it's usually quicker to get off the bike and run! I'd avoid a triple as it's more weight and somewhere else for mud to gather - sometimes by the end of the race I've found I can't use the front mech anyway because of mud - if you don't have a spare bike. On the occasion that I've used my cross bike on-road, the only time i ran out of gears was on a long descent in excess of 60kph - just learn to spin a bit quicker!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Nack
    Nack Posts: 61
    As Monty Dog says, you're unlikely to run out of gears with a 46 x 11 - that's a higher gear than 50 X 12 (unless you're intending on time trialling your commutes :D )

I don't know if your frame would need to be faced, but yes, that chainset would require an external bottom bracket, which may or may not be supplied with the chainset.
  • i should just point out that i will probably never do a cross race. this is for a LOT of commuting (on the flat) and the odd 2 to 3 hr off-road ride in the wolds, so pretty hilly.

ive got a cassette ready to stick on, but cant remember if its a 12 or 11t highest gear.

i went for a ride last weekend with 2 lads on crossers, one with a double, one with a triple, and they both got up everything, but theyre a lot fitter than me, so im not sure id have made some of the off road climbs on a double.

my weaker self says go triple to make the hills, my stronger (?) self says go double and MTFU!! :-)
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If you're not planning on racing cross, then it keeps your options open and depends on what type of riding you're doing. If planning longer off-road rides, then a triple will undoubtedly help on rolling terrain.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..