Converting a rigid mtb

jpstar
jpstar Posts: 561
edited September 2010 in Road beginners
Hey,

Was just wondering what sort of changes you all would make to the bike (in sig) to make it closer to a road bike than mtb. Reason is, I've just moved and there are very few places to do mtb'ing so considering changing the bike. Don't have enough to buy a specific road bike though.

So any reccommendations as to what changes should be made? Other than sick tyres...

Many thanks,
Joe

Comments

• thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Slick tyres and maybe up the gearing if possible.

If you want to spend a bit more you can convert it to drops but then you will need to put on downtube shifters.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    You could fit drop bars and you'd prob. need a different stem. Prob. a different ratio cassette on the back and maybe different chainrings? i have a Trek mtb for commuting on that has Middleburn cranks and 48/36/24 rings, Crank Bros.Quattro pedals and a 12-23 cassette (9 speed). Tyres are 26 x 1.0". But really you are trying to make a bike do something different than what it is designed for if you go the drop bar route. Hybrids are prob. the nearest you can match to. My advice is if you are happy with the bike, position etc maybe just alter the gearing to bring it nearer to road gears.
    M.Rushton
  • Slick tyres ... get something around 28-30mm ... you get nice 28 mm conti gp's in 650 ... my gf has them on her badboy ...

A road cassette ... with a mtb chainring you can ride with a 12-23 no probs (maybe even a 12-21 with the triple granny ring) so try and get as many useful gears as possible ... a 12-32 is no use on the road ...

A stem with as little rise as your flexibility allows ... a +/-7 degree one at -7 degress will keep your frontal area lower and that bit more aero ...

A decent saddle ... slicker tyres at higher pressure means more road noise for your bum to soak up ... and while you are at it set it up right (i saw your pick .. eeek) ...

Check the width of your bars ... something aorudn 500mm shoudl be fine .. andn get bar ends to give you more position options whilst out for the long haul ...

IMO by the time you have done all this you could likely have sprung for a 2nd hand road or commuter bike ... and if you find you prefer it to the mtb then you can sell the mtb for upgrades
  • jpstar
    jpstar Posts: 561
    Thanks everyone, I'll definitely have a nose around at a new cassette and tyres.
    mattsy666 Yeah, that saddle has been sorted, just no new photos lately.

Any other recommendations on tyres?

Thanks,
    Joe
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    I use Spesh All-Condition Pro but Continental do a good range in 26 (650c).
    M.Rushton
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I just got the cheapest slick tyres that Halfords had in the sale bin. it felt a lot quicker. But although the big jumps between gears were annoying, I never got as far as changing the cassette. Having been overtaken by an older bloke on a road bike who seemed to be putting in very little effort, I decided I needed a whole new bike.

My advice is to start saving :wink:
  • Look on ebay for a second hand road bike, u can get a pretty roughed up entry level one for about £100, and even that would be better then enything you could do with a mtb.
    Carrera Vanquish....
  • Recently converted an old Cannondale- drops with bar end shifters (7 speed) Tomac lives!
    Looking to get some Salsa Cross levers as well.
  • Ive got a univega with road bars on it and skinny off road tyres, and i use it commute, it is so awsome its about 14 years old and still going strong, its a bit of a stretch fitting on it but thats fine with me

Arran
    Carpe Diem