... in a Pug 206

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited August 2010 in MTB general
Does anyone regularly get a MTB in the back of a pug 206?

I know it will fit, but its gonna be a bit of an PITA because its not so big inside.... is it practical?

I have a good Thule rear mounted bike rack, but its a bit bulky and i'm not going to have anywhere to store it when i'm not riding.

Plus, I don't want to leave the bike on the back of the car while i'm in work.

Hmmmmm. I'm thinking of selling the rack to just use the inside of the car but will I miss it?

Comments

• LeighM
    LeighM Posts: 156
    Saw a guy in the peaks today unpack his bike from a Ford Puma, similar size to a 206. Both wheels, and seat we're removed but it all fit very nicely.

A bit of a faff and limits how many people/bikes you can carry, but I'd rather have my bike secure in the car than hanging on a rack.
    2014 Trek Madone 4.7 | 2009 Trek Fuel EX7 | Planet X Pro Carbon Track Elite
    TrainerRoad
    Strava
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    I used to get 2 bikes in my old saxo with the seats down. Just take the wheels off and it was fine. And as LeighM said, more secure than a bike rack.
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • Yea security is my main issue.... so it seems like a good plan. I'll give it a test at the weekend and see how it turns out.

What did you use to protect the interior? Just some sheets?
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    What did you use to protect the interior? Just some sheets?

I use a cheapo Asda duvet (£7-ish)

Stops both the bike and the cars trim picking up unwanted knocks.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    mate of mine can get a few bikes in the back of his 106 with his back seats down, or one in the boot with wheels off. I daresay it would be easier in a 206.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • _HENDO_
    _HENDO_ Posts: 93
    I managed to get my bike into the back of my Megane Coupé and the boot of that was like a post box!

As long as you haven't got a bad back it'll be fine with a 206.
    For professional MTB & BMX coaching, training & guiding!
    www.pedaltoprogression.com
  • you'll be fine we've had 3 dh bikes and 3 people in a mini you just have to work out a way that works well and it'll be easy from there
  • I used to get my bike in the boot of a rover saloon. Getting it in a hatch of any size would be a piece of cake. Hated it though. Just the faff of taking the wheels off after a ride when you're sopping wet on a cold winters day, getting home, taking the bike out again, putting the wheels back on...

It's the sole reason I bought a huge estate. Now I just open it up, put the bike in, done.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    It'll take three at least! BMXs...

I bought a 7 seater partly for ease of bike insertion. I can get four bikes fully built in, with the wheels out I can get five people in and probably all their bikes - I don't have enough friends to try...

Otherwise I sleep in it when I'm on driving holidays :)
  • fat sam
    fat sam Posts: 45
    i can get a scott aspect 20 and a trek fuel ex 8 in my peugeot 106 although ot is a pain (have to remove wheels and seats from the bike of course) :)
    it is hard to soar like an eagle when you are surrounded by turkeys
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    ilovedirt wrote:
    mate of mine can get a few bikes in the back of his 106 with his back seats down, or one in the boot with wheels off. I daresay it would be easier in a 206.

Wow, how did he get the bike in the boot?! :shock:

I've got a 106, and a 20" HT, I can get the bike in with both wheels off and with the seats down. It's not any real hassle, plus I don't see how it takes any longer to do than setting up a rack. It does limit interior space of course, but there's two of you going camping for a week I doubt it'll be a problem. I just use a plastic sheet to keep he car clean.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Does anyone regularly get a MTB in the back of a pug 206?

I know it will fit, but its gonna be a bit of an PITA because its not so big inside.... is it practical?

I have a good Thule rear mounted bike rack, but its a bit bulky and i'm not going to have anywhere to store it when i'm not riding.

Plus, I don't want to leave the bike on the back of the car while i'm in work.

Hmmmmm. I'm thinking of selling the rack to just use the inside of the car but will I miss it?
    Yes, my mate gets his Norco 6 in one all the time.
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    I can get my Pitch (quite long) in my Saxo with only removing the front wheel. Rear seats flat with the bench pulled out (seats go totally flat then), forks then drop into the rear leg space.

I'm happy with my Pendle strap on rack- I just keep it in the boot when I'm not using it.

I wouldn't be keen on leaving my bike on the back in a public carpark though...
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • chrisga
    chrisga Posts: 587
    The back of a 206 with seats down isnt tiny. Pleanty of space to get bikes in. I reckon you could get a couple in if you took the wheels and seat off easily. You do know you can remove the bottom of the back seats dont you? They lift up and are on springy rod things that you can squeeze together to lift out the base. This gives you a bit more space behind the front seats.
    I reckon the back of the 206 has more space in it with the seats down than our other car an alfa 156 sportwagon! That is the smallest estate car in the world space wise.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    bails87 wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:

Wow, how did he get the bike in the boot?! :shock:
    Wheels off, and it was a little bike (still 26" though)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Can get a bike easily in the back of my clio. Take the wheels off and slide it in
  • Anonymous
    I'm happy with my strap on - I just keep it in the boot when I'm not using it.

I wouldn't be keen on leaving it in a public carpark though...
    :lol:
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    yarp me and my house mate shove our bikes and gear in the back of his 206 gti all the time.
  • kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    2 bikes in the back of my Mazda 2 the other week.

Yesterday I saw my first occurrence of someone elses cycle rack failing... Fortunately for him, it was only one arm. Still left his bike dangling precariously.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • snotty badger
    I'm happy with my strap on - I just keep it in the boot when I'm not using it.

I wouldn't be keen on leaving it in a public carpark though...
    :lol:

I'll strap on you in a minute..
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • Anonymous
    you haven't got a good strap on in you!
  • snotty badger