Specialized Sirrus Hybrid buying advice (which one)

sabre12323
sabre12323 Posts: 3
edited September 2010 in Commuting general
Looking for best spec for money many deals on different models different gears carbon folks etc 2010 2011 elite, basic sport models price range looking at what is best go for and can some one recommend a seat that would be suitable and real comfortable for fairly big man for commute purposes comfortable and fast , do not ask for much (very limited knowledge on hybrids) any help guys to buy within next few weeks when seen right deal.

thanks in advance

Comments

• gs3
    gs3 Posts: 249
    Set yourself a fixed maximum price limit and choose the models closest to that limit but not over it. Then, before you actually splash out, go and test ride as many as you can and come to your own conclusions - it's the only way you will know which model is right for you.

Don't limit yourself to a Sirrus (although I am slightly biased towards them as I had a Sirrus Pro for two years - great bike) but check out the bikes other manufacturers do within your price range and test ride those ones too. In most cases you will find out very quickly which particular bikes 'fit' you and which don't. Create a shortlist and choose your steed

As far as saddle choice goes - it's you who has to sit on it! One man's couch is another man's razor blade - try out as many as you can find (doesn't matter which bike they are attached to) until you find one which fits you! Remember though, it may not be the most padded saddle which is the most comfortable so don't rule any out until you try them.

Hope this is of some assistance as it is only my opinion and I refuse to be held accountable!! :twisted: :lol:

• RufusA
    RufusA Posts: 500
    +1.

You need to set priorities and budget and then work within them.

When I was choosing a Sirrus I test rode a few models (and of course some non-Specialized Bikes) to see what suited me best.

For me having a carbon front fork made a big difference as I found the ride too "buzzy" without them. Rear carbon stays made little noticeable difference to the ride IMHO no more than fitting a carbon seat post, and carbon added some risk / complications if I wanted to heavily load it with panniers and mudguards.

Also at the time (circa 2007) the slightly more expensive models, came with RapidFire shifters which I found much nicer to use than the EZFire version (and looked neater IMHO). They also had better gear ratios for my needs (fast commute vs mountain-ish).

As to 2010 vs 2011 models, it comes down to price and availability, most 2010 stock is very low at the moment so unless you are an odd size, or your LBS has one in stock you may be struggling to find the right bike in the right size.

I wouldn't get too hung up on component specifics, over time you can change them, and you'll notice a new set of wheels a lot more than a slightly lighter rear Derailleur.

HTH - Rufus.
  • luther
    luther Posts: 28
    +2

Biggest thing is set a budget then stick to it. Mine was £1000 as it was the C2W voucher for me and I planned to use the bike throughout the year. I ended up looking at Cannondales, Treks a Carrera and a Spesh.

The Spesh was actually a the bottom of the list on specs alone but when it came to riding them all it was the most comfortable for me so that's what I ended up with. The fact that it was the cheapest bike and came under budget was an additional (unplanned) bonus.

Incidentally, I ended up with a 2010 Expert as I could really feel the Carbon Forks and Zertz inserts making a difference. A quick look shows very low stock everywhere but the 2011 equivalent does look tasty.... expecially in that grey/neon combo....

Regarding seats.... it really is all very personal. Try the one that comes with your bike. The Sirrus comes with a BG seat which is very highly regarded. Get the bike setup for you and try it out.... if you're uncomfortable after a period of time.... try another seat. Simples.
    Car? Scooby....
    Motorbike? Ninja....
    Bike? Sirrus or the XTC
  • Thanks guys took advice went with one with carbon forks not too expensive ordered different pedals managed to get 2010 sirrus sport £399 which I am told is good price £100 under book price and lucky to get in none odd size of large acted fast not many left only thing not sure about tyres should i change for punture resistant do not want to lose too much speed anyone think same and what tyres to get any on offer
  • gs3
    gs3 Posts: 249
    sabre12323
    The All-condition Sport tyres which are on the bike already have a puncture resistant kevlar belt below the tread (Flak Jacket) and they won't slow you down. Consider replacing only when they wear out with something like this
  • I would suggest changing the tyres, I've had 2 punctures on the back wheel since getting the sirrus back in July. The last puncture was a tiny piece of glass which went right through the tyre and the tube.
  • slog
    slog Posts: 67
    Been riding a sirrus sport since May, and while I don't have anything else to compare it to, It has done 21/2 miles so far with no problems. The original tyres didn't last that long though, the back one was pink and bald after 1400 odd miles. I don't think you'll be disappointed with your choice- i'm not :D
  • Keep the tyres that come with it.... I've had mine since June and the Spesh tyres are pretty well rated. Change 'em when you have too..... next year :D
    Car? Scooby....
    Motorbike? Ninja....
    Bike? Sirrus or the XTC
  • I bought a base model Sirrus last October just for commuting (2008 model), I ditched the All Condition flak jackets within a fortnight as I had 6 punctures. Replaced them with Continental Sport Contacts and only had one puncture since then, and that was a roofing nail which would have done for any tyre. I suppose my commute must be worse than others but found fragments of glass and flint would penetrate the tyres.
    I've done about 1500 miles on mine, fully kitted with SKS Cromoplastics mudguards (which were a bit tricky to fit due to the v brakes (or rather lack of side pull road brakes) and thinking about fitting panniers so I can ditch the backpack. Sora groupset is a bit agricultural but works well, I do look after it and clean and lube it weekly.
    Only thing about my version is the lack of carbon inserts on forks/seatstays makes for a hard ride although the suspension seatpost and good original saddle compensate a bit. I'm toying with the idea of putting some carbon forks on it. Also fitted bar ends to vary the hand positions a bit.
    Overall a good bike, although I have to say if I knew then what I now know (?) I'd have gone for a road/cx bike - probably a tricross. I've bought a Six now but that doesn't go out in the rain!