Converting a road bike to Cross(ish) bike

cyclistbruce
cyclistbruce Posts: 88
edited August 2010 in Workshop
I've got an old (1999) Giant CFR road bike. Its a carbon composite frame with carbon blade forks. I want a bike for my commute to work which includes about 5 miles on a disused railway path.

I was thinking about converting the Giant by sticking some cross type tyres on, but was concerned that the fork wouldn't be up to the stress of a bumpy path. Anyone done anything similiar or got any thoughts?

This is if cross tyres will actually fit, given a fairly tight space between my current tyre and the seatstay bridge/top of fork!

Comments

• AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    No way that cross tyres would fit. Get some touring tyres - you might be able to get 28s in there. Unless you're particularly heavy or the path is particularly bumpy I doubt you'll have too much of a problem with the fork. Low spoke-count wheels might suffer though.
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    +1 cross tyres probably won't fit

I recently fitted some touring tyres to a mates Spesh Allez and the 32mm Conti touring tyre just fitted his fork. 28mm would obviously fit too, and would give more mud clearance.

Ones like this
    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... ONTTYRR205
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Agree, tyre clearance will be your main issue - there are plenty of 28mm touring tyres that might just fit. IME forks will be plenty strong enough for light trail use.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..