Pain In The Backside

bluejimbo39
bluejimbo39 Posts: 4
edited September 2010 in Road beginners
Hello All

Took up road cycling this year after mountain biking and bought a Specialized Secteur Comp. I'm generally doing rides of between 40 - 100 miles. I've ironed all the problems like knee and back pain out by making adjustments to the bike however the pain in my 'sit bones' seems to be getting worse. I had been using cheap padded shorts and thought it was down to them then had 5 weeks off riding during the summer. I've now bought some quite expensive Castelli bib shorts but having done a couple of rides the pain seems worse than ever. Can anyone tell me if this is down to the saddle not suiting me or have I got to just persevere and my backside will eventually get used to it?

Comments

• eyebee
    eyebee Posts: 257
    sounds like a saddle issue.I had a similar problem until I purchased a san marco skn.Worked for me but you'll probably hava 10 more replies reccomending other saddles which have worked for others. Its probably a good idea to get your 'sit bones' measured to ensure you're getting the correct width. Good luck.
  • Erudin
    Erudin Posts: 136
    I like WTB saddles, some shops have test-ride saddles (see link below).

A good way of trying different saddles cheaply is buying them second-hand off Ebay/forums then selling them on if they don't work.

http://www.wtb-bike.eu/en/test_ride.htm
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Selle Italia dealers often have demo saddles you can borrow. Might be the saddle fore/aft position needs altering.
    M.Rushton
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    Checkout Brook I find them very comfy
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • 1_reaper
    1_reaper Posts: 322
    My LBS does demo saddles from fizik where you have them for a few days to test them and a system that test your ideal width and fit for Bontrager saddles

http://www.cyclesport-lincs.com/

Just give the Lincoln shop a ring if its not to far for you
  • father_jack
    Are you sure the saddle is fitted? :wink:
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    +1 with eyebee.

Once you've got that measurement you should find that any seat would be an improvement and would cut out all of the wrong ones expensive or not.

All you then have to do is do some google research and then attempt - not easy - to try out your choices. Sale or return deals???
  • 1_reaper
    1_reaper Posts: 322
    Bontrager do that once you have been fitted for a saddle . If your not happy they will take it back not sure whether that's a refund or another saddle try out ?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Saddle too soft? Gel saddles have been known to exacerbate soft tissue inflammation - keep the padding in your shorts and make sure the saddle shape and position gives the best support
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Thanks for the advice everyone.
    I have been back to my LBS and got my sit bones measured with a spongy imprint thing. It tells me that my saddle is too narrow so they've lent me a wider one to try. Here's hoping as I was still in pain even on my hybrid this morning! And yes Father Jack I did have a saddle fitted. :D
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    Chamois cream may also help alleviate your plight (if you're not already using it) or stop the pain developing into saddle sores. (Although I'd agree that a change of saddle will probably reduce/stop your problem significantly).

Popular makes are Assos, Udderly Smooth - some people are happy to use Sudocreme - these will all reduce friction between chamois & skin and reduce any possibility of infection.
    Cycling weakly
  • father_jack
    Never used cream although I guess if you do 100+ miles in one day may need it.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Go and try the various saddles out there. You don't need to be paying Selle Italia prices to achieve comfort. I bought an Intake saddle for £30 to replace my Bontrager one and I can't believe the difference.

Don't forget as well that no matter how comfortable the saddle is you still need to adjust every now and again during a ride to gain some relief.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.