Cycling Club London

shanef365
shanef365 Posts: 4
edited September 2010 in Road beginners
Hi,

I'm a beginner road bike user and am moving to London in the next few weeks. I've been trying to find cycling clubs in the area, without much success!!

I'll be living fairly centrally, does anyone know of any cycling clubs in central london?

My level would be about 20 mile runs, at an average speed of about 15 mph.

I have a specialized allez sport, looking to possibly replace the seatpost with a carbon one.

Thanks!

Comments

• mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Have you googled London cycle clubs? Willesden are well known and are good audaxers,London Phoenix and of course London Dynamo but they can be a bit 'full-on'. Nice website tho' and they seem friendly but don't be fooled ;-)
    M.Rushton
  • I had, but you're right, all I could see was races and track competitions, and I thought maybe in the future, but not right now!!

I had to actually double check what Audaxing was, as I said, complete beginner lol!

Thank you!
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    I look on in envy at the London Cycling Campaign website and how active it is.compare to other cities..They cater for lower miles.whicjh i like too...Check out their runs list..Afraid the traditional CTC clubs I know do 60 miles + even on a B run...
    jc
  • weapons
    weapons Posts: 367
    shanef365 wrote:
    I had, but you're right, all I could see was races and track competitions, and I thought maybe in the future, but not right now!!

I had to actually double check what Audaxing was, as I said, complete beginner lol!

Thank you!

I don't think that is entirely representative of London Dynamo - 400 odd members but I'd say the vast majority of members don't race.

Turn up on Saturday morning in Richmond park for the club park ride and see what you think. There are groups for all abilities from the super quick through to relative beginners.
  • Have you checked out The Gregarios Superclub Ciclista?

They meet in Bushey every Sunday. www.gregarios.co.uk

[/img]
  • Dess1e
    Dess1e Posts: 239
    Very few clubs meet in Central London, most start there runs further away.

The Kenton RC runs sound good for you - easy 40-50 miles from Kenton Library. Experianced riders to pass on advice, and no one gets left behind. The club welcomes beginners and experianced riders and covers the sunday rides, audaxes, sportives and racing.

The other option is using Regents Park to get your fittness up etc , but it can be tedious.
  • http://www.londonphoenix.co.uk/

Central London based with about 200 members doing road, cross and mtb. There are training runs in regents park and heading north from east finchley

jon
  • Yep, very few clubs in Central London for obvious reasons, most riders want to be out on the open country roads so you may have to cycle out to a start piont somewhere in the burbs. Try Dulwich Paragon Sat morning ride. 15mph over 20 miles would probably put you in their beginners or perhaps medium paced group, however the ride is more like 35 miles and you'd have to get out to the start in Crystal Palace which would add about 7 or 8 miles I guess.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • The two main clubs that seem to meet in West London are London Dynamo and Kingston Wheelers.

Both are largeish. Never cycled with any Dynamos but the Wheelers have always been a nice bunch.

If you're not west/central then probably not valuable.
    www.goinggoingbike.com
    Yep, very few clubs in Central London for obvious reasons, most riders want to be out on the open country roads so you may have to cycle out to a start piont somewhere in the burbs. Try Dulwich Paragon Sat morning ride. 15mph over 20 miles would probably put you in their beginners or perhaps medium paced group, however the ride is more like 35 miles and you'd have to get out to the start in Crystal Palace which would add about 7 or 8 miles I guess.

+1
  • Thanks everyone, gonna mail a few of the clubs now and try out a Saturday morning ride or two. Hopefully by early next I'll be able to go on the longer more challenging trips!