Squeaking Crank

Lifeboy123
Lifeboy123 Posts: 213
edited September 2010 in Road beginners
After ridng out in the rain my front crank began to squeak. After drying the bike out I applied a WP30 water repellant but on my next ride after a light shower it quickly returned. This only happens when i pedal..do I need to strip down and remove the cranks and regrease ..any advice ?

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Could be a number of things: pedals, chainring bolts, BB spindle or bearings. As you say, dissemble, clean, lubricate and retighten
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • same problem discoverd it was the drive pedal. couldnt belive such a lil thing could such a racket.
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    Could be a mouse trapped in your BB? Poor thing :(
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • johnnyL
    johnnyL Posts: 36
    I recently encountered a mysterious squeak after some long rides in heavy rain. Drove me mad. In the end I discovered it was the front front derailleur clamp. Problem solved after I greased and re-tightened.

The problem with some of these squeaks is that they are never where you think they are coming from......
    skinny as
  • My Tiagra cranks and Hollowtech BB sometimes creak, I was told here to take off the left crank, regrease and put back. Haven't got round to that but cleaned the bike a while back which helped, however it came back, so I sprayed with WD40 and that seemed to help again. BTW what's WP30??
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.