Dura Ace 7800 vs Ultegra 6700

silverpigeon
silverpigeon Posts: 327
edited August 2010 in Road buying advice
I can get hold of either for similar money, for a new frame I'm building up - the Dura Ace is about £60.00 more

Not having any practical experience of either groupset can anybody offer some words of advice. I'm tempted by the cachet of Dura Ace but it is their previous version, is it still 'better' than today's Ultegra?
Basso Astra
Principia Ellipse SX
Kinesis Racelight 4S
Kinesis Crosslight Pro Disc

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'd get 7800DA, the polished chainset looks amazing and is worth having just for that!

What bike is it going on?
  • i moved from 7800 to 6700. 7800 is slightly lighter i think, and shifting action is far lighter, but in terms of which actually shifts gears better, i would say there isn't really much to choose, 6700 maybe pips it. But then i also think 7800 is prettier, so personal preference i think. If i were to build up a new bike, i think 7800 would just about clinch it for me
    It's not the will to win that matters...everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters.
  • What bike is it going on?

It's going onto a Principia frame.

What about compatibility with other groupsets? I'm really thinking here about when it comes time to change the cassette and chain, would I be able to put an Ultegra cassette on?
    Basso Astra
    Principia Ellipse SX
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • Anonymous
    Oooh, nice. Which one? Defo 7800. Yes you can use an Ultegra cassette. In fact, a lot of people do due to the Ti sprockets on DA wearing quicker...

I'm umming and aahing about whether to get 7800 for my new frame that I'm replacing my Cervelo (with Sram Red) with, to keep it 'period'. It's a 2007 Colnago C50.
  • Thanks Nap D. DA7800 it is. I wasn't bothered about the extra £60, more about the compatibility. Over here (Channel Islands) the salt sea air and prevalence of sand on the coastal roads tends to wear chains and sprockets at an alarming rate during the winter. £30ish for an Ultegra cassette is more palpable than than £80ish for DA when it comes to replace

Partly as a project and partly just out of curiosity I'm building up a bike from 'new' old stock - if you know what I mean. In addition to the online bargains that can be had, VAT is not charged here so I'm taking advantage whilst I can

I'm starting off with a 2005 Ellipse SX frame (tis a thing of beauty) and have already fitted a CK headset and Easton fork.
    Dura 7800 and DA wheels to follow, then just finishing kit such as bars, seat post tyres etc. I reckon on the whole thing coming in around the £1400 -£1500 mark. Which isn't too bad I don't think for a quasi custom build.

The Colnago is a very, very nice frame, but shouldn't it be hung with Campag rather than Shimano? :wink:
    Basso Astra
    Principia Ellipse SX
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • Anonymous
    Looking forward to seeing pictures of it when it's built!

I'd love a Principia Aluminium frame but they are scary money!

Worse, the Colnago may end up with Sram Red! I'll give the Campag a go and see how I get on but due to wheel compatibility issues it'll have to be bloody good!