Ribble Gran Fondo/ Nero RC - frame size query?

GAMMA-RAY-DOG
GAMMA-RAY-DOG Posts: 3
edited August 2010 in Road buying advice
Hi all.

In line with a growing number of others, I am looking to purchase a Gran Fondo.

Looking at Ribble's frame geometry for the GF, it states that a 5'10" to 6" rider should go for a Large 54CM frame. It has a top-tube measurement of 550 MM

I am 5' 11" with a 33" in-seam. Arms and body not particularly long. Currently riding a Medium Giant OCR with 550MM top tube and 50CM C2C (saddle approx 8.5 cm above bars - a little bit too high for sustained comfort, but reach is OK with a 120MM stem) .

However, I have noted a number of posts from GF owners on Bike Radar, saying that they have gone for bigger frames (XL - 56 C2C and 470 MM top tube) and a number of these folks appear to be an inch or so shorter than me.

Would appreciate some advice from GF riders as to sizing. Also, what stems and cranks lengths are you riding? I live far too far away from Ribble's store to get sized up and I really don't want to buy anything too big or too small.

Would also like to hear from any NERO owners (and SPORTIVE for that matter), as I would consider amending my order if the lead time is excessively long for the GF.

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    I am 6' with 34" inside leg and ride 57cm top tube and 12cm stem. I would find the 55cm top tube a bit too compact. Front end would be lower too with greater drop to the 'bars.I have the Sportive in a 55cm frame- which has a virtual 57 toptube.Definitely would not want next size down.

If you were 5'10" with 32" inside leg then you would be closer to the smaller frame size.

As it is I think you would squeeze onto it rather than fit it like a glove.You would need a LOT of seatpost showing.
  • Thanks for input, Sturmey - you seem nearer to me in terms of height and leg dimensions than some of the others querying frame sizes, appreciate the input.

I gather from the Ribble size charts that you have the LARGE frame-size then? What crank length do you ride?

Would be very interested to hear from other Sportive riders and ofc Nero and GF riders re: their respective heights, in-seams and frame size choices.

n.b. in OP, I mistakenly referred to XL top-tube length of 470 MM - ofc should've been 570MM (duh).
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    Yes I have the Large (55cm) Sportive frame. And 175mm cranks.