Road bikes with an upright riding position

Skatie
Skatie Posts: 2
edited February 2013 in Road buying advice
I am looking for a road bike (preferably full carbon) with an upright riding position - don't find the sports riding position comfortable after years of mountain/hybrids. Any advice out there. Thanks

Comments

• solboy
    solboy Posts: 368
    I have an Allez elite and with the stem flipped it gives a decent upright riding position.
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    Skatie wrote:
    I am looking for a road bike (preferably full carbon) with an upright riding position - don't find the sports riding position comfortable after years of mountain/hybrids. Any advice out there. Thanks

Get some stretching done - you'll be fine :)
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Phat-Bike.jpg
  • bompington
    Phat-Bike.jpg
  • bompington
    Phat-Bike.jpg
  • micmax
    micmax Posts: 13
    Have a look at the verenti bikes at Wiggle. They have a "relaxed" geometry with longer than average head tube. Wiggle offer a 30 day test ride which might be useful.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Specialized Secteur
    Bianchi C2C
    Cannondale CAAD8

To name 3 more...
  • I know this is a old post but wanted to makea commemt. I love my road bike I love how fast you can go on it. I got tired of my hands, butt, groin going numb. Side of my knee hurting after a ride and my neck hurting from bending over in the racing form. (yes, I paid to have a bike fit)

I bought the Nitto Dirt-Drop Stem - MT-10 - LONG - 80mm so I could in a more upright postion. Best investment I ever made. Everything stopped hurting! Riding has never been more fun since the transition.

I also found out by sitting upright really didn't effect my speed at all. I can still go just as fast in an upright postion as in the down postion. I only lost like 1 to 2 mph (BIG WHOOP!) Not having any pain and numbness anymore makes it a great trade off. My handle bar is about 2 inches above my seat.

When I get into the drops I can still scream down the road. I now have the best of both worlds! Speed and no pain
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    I know this is a old post but wanted to makea commemt. I love my road bike I love how fast you can go on it. I got tired of my hands, butt, groin going numb. Side of my knee hurting after a ride and my neck hurting from bending over in the racing form. (yes, I paid to have a bike fit)

I bought the Nitto Dirt-Drop Stem - MT-10 - LONG - 80mm so I could in a more upright postion. Best investment I ever made. Everything stopped hurting! Riding has never been more fun since the transition.

I also found out by sitting upright really didn't effect my speed at all. I can still go just as fast in an upright postion as in the down postion. I only lost like 1 to 2 mph (BIG WHOOP!) Not having any pain and numbness anymore makes it a great trade off. My handle bar is about 2 inches above my seat.

When I get into the drops I can still scream down the road. I now have the best of both worlds! Speed and no pain

But you have to put up with being laughed at! (even by old men on shopping bikes)

Not worth it in my opinion.
  • On One 456
    Cannondale CAAD 10
    Ribble 7005 Audax
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    styxd wrote:
    But you have to put up with being laughed at! (even by old men on shopping bikes)

Not worth it in my opinion.

Over here, you learn very quickly not to judge people by their equipment. I've seen a few older guys with similar setups i.e. bars well above saddle height. treat them with respect, because they will most likely leave you for dead on long alpine climbs!
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    A Tricross maybe - would suit if coming from an MTB, very comfortable & fun.

Genesis bikes and the Spa Cycles Audax/Sportive look may well suit you too.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • samsbike
    samsbike Posts: 942
    If you want carbon specialized roubaix or trek domane. In steel a surly would work.especially as it had steel forks and you can run a lot of spacers.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    This thread is 3 years old......
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Holy thread resurrection batman!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..