Campag Athena 11 Speed

racingt
racingt Posts: 108
edited August 2010 in Road buying advice
Hi guys, thinking of updating my 9 speed Daytona setup to 11 speed Athena, to move from a triple to a compact - anyone done this, and what do you think about Athena??
I want the same range witha lower Q factor, and I get this witht he compact & a 12-29 cassette - sounds good, or should I save for Chorus?

Thanks
Phil

Comments

• davelakers
    davelakers Posts: 762
    Athena is quality. I upgraded from 105 and never looked back. I also considered Chorus but was talked out of it as its probably not worth the extra cash for the difference it would make to a cyclist of my standard.
  • Coffey01
    Coffey01 Posts: 47
    Hi there I have Athena 11 and as above is quality. IMO I wouldn't bother with saving up for chorus, I have done over 1000 miles on it now and just seems to be getting better. Cheers
  • gwillis
    gwillis Posts: 998
    I have Athena and love it . I have had a few teething problems with it but that might be down to cable stretch etc (trouble with skipping gears). As the bike does more miles it seems to settle and for climbing 11 speed is great. The only downside is chains argggggggggggggghhhh if you buy 11 speed you need a campag or park chain tool which can be quite pricey, im just about to buy a KMC chain instead as it has the missing link included (my last campag chain seemed to get a stiff link).

Ive considered upgrading to chorus or record and putting the athena on my Scott but funds will dictate that.

Go for it
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    How does it compare to Mirage and Veloce?
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • elevated
    elevated Posts: 126
    The 2011 Chorus is all black with more carbon than previously - the rear mech looks almost the same as Super Record now, whereas Athena is mostly silver, so if you prefer the look of black components or carbon then it might be worth the extra.

Also be aware that the new 2011 Athena uses Power-Shift which only allows single downshifts unlike the current Ultra-Shift. This is why the shifters are cheaper for 2011.
    BMC Pro Machine | Ribble Gran Fondo | Planet-X SL Pro Carbon | Specialized Langster 2008 | Ribble Winter Sloping | Trek 8000 | Onza Blade 2009

My site » AssosFables :: Assos news & reviews
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I can't think of a better winter groupset than alloy Athena.
  • gwillis
    gwillis Posts: 998
    the powershift option is great for numnuts like me who often forget t change gear until the last minute, has this option gone off chorus and above as well?
  • racingt
    racingt Posts: 108
    thanks guys, Athena aluminium 11 it will be. Wish I could ride more often, I'd love to wear one out!!
    Phil
  • jimwin
    jimwin Posts: 208
    I did a 6 day JOGLE in late May on Athena 11 (50/34 + 12/29). No problems and the whole set worked really well (on a Van Nic frame). Chain wear's been good - over 2000 miles on the original chain. Indexing remains reliable with only one slight tweak needed in over 6 months.

Oh - and both my Athena groupsets have ultrashift levers and the Ribble website advertises them as ultra-shift.

- Jim