Broadband/phone - help needed :(

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited August 2010 in The Crudcatcher
Right, I neeeeeed broadband in the new flat. However I don't want/need a home phone.

But, I have to pay line rental, which means I need a phone (from what I can tell).

So BT basic package of £0 a month + liner rental of £10 is what I should do?

Then get broadband through O2 for £10 a month (20meg DL... might go cheaper if I can't get 20meg)

Does that sound about right or am I missing something?

Comments

• Be very careful with the 20meg dl rates they advertise. Very rarely will you ever see this kind of download speed with a home internet connection, maybe a few hours a month. I made the mistake of paying an extra 15 euros a month to get the "superfast" internet connection for our flat, and feel basically conned but can't lower tarrif without paying rediculous amounts.

You'll see half that speed maybe. I normally recommend just going through BT for everything, connection was always very stable speed wise, and a decent speed at that.
  • well the difference in 8meg and 20meg is only £2.50 lol. So it doesn't matter so much...

Obv if I can get it then there's no point :)
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    I have virgin fibreoptic which (when i signed up) was £5 for 3 months then £20 and no fee if you change even if it less than a year. I have been impressed with the my connection - fast and always works!
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • yea the 02 is free for 3 months which is nice :)

tbh i'll probably get the cheap on as I only use it for browsing and a bit of online gaming... we only get 4meg max in my parents house atm which I have no problems with.

Am I correct about the line rental btw? I need a phone line before I can I broadband?
    Thats the main thing thats confusing me!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    20mb from anybody other than virgin isn't 20mb, not even with VM but they do get closer to the advertised speeds. Other providers are close to half the 20mb they claim.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Yep, you need line rental sorted, essentially so that you've got a phone number for the broadband to be set up on.

Or that's how it seemed a couple of years ago when I was sorting it at uni.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    nonnac85 wrote:
    I have virgin fibreoptic which (when i signed up) was £5 for 3 months then £20 and no fee if you change even if it less than a year. I have been impressed with the my connection - fast and always works!

This is what I did - no phone when I moved into my new flat, and BT wanted a ridiculous amount to reconnect (which I think means flicking a switch).
    Have a company mobile for all my calls so went with Virgin fibre optic.
    Very happy - never drops the connection, always fast (faster than my old laptop anyway)
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    When I first had BB installed from VM at the flat I didn't take any other service until they phone me and offered all 3, TV, Phone & BB, for the same cost which was just at the right time as I was goingto buy a set-top box but had VM TV instead. I still have the phone line but don't use it as the free call package was only for 12 mths. I've got a massive call allowance on the mobile so I don't need a landline.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • soy_sauce
    soy_sauce Posts: 987
    Talk Talk - internet/phone package is worth a look

also SKY TV with internet and phone also worth a look

those two above are including line rental, i think
    "It is not impossible, its just improbable"

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • nah, talk talk is £8 a month phone and internet but with a dl limit and £11 line rental.
    Talk talk plus is £15pm phone and internet, not dl limit and £11 line rental.

With a combo of BT/02 is gonna cost me a total of £18pm (includes line rental and unlimited dl) so that my benchmark to beat lol.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    The BT/O2 thing is what I have here. It's excellent. We're definitely getting significantly more than 8 meg, which makes the little extra money worth it, even if it's not a full 20.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I think I will be changing to them when I move next week. Good thing is I the place is less than 50 yards from the BT exchange lol.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    supersonic wrote:
    I think I will be changing to them when I move next week. Good thing is I the place is less than 50 yards from the BT exchange lol.
    O2 will do the line rental cheaper than BT if you get the line and broadband all from them. The only reason I needed BT line rental was that the line had gone inactive, and only BT can activate them.
  • im on the bt line rental and the 8mb o2 package, works fine, so id reccomend that. and when i was looking, we had to have a bt line, so thats what we went for. my only advice is dont get the phone number for bt from 118 247, as it cost me £13 on the phone to do that. wasnt super happy