Knee pain

Teach
Teach Posts: 386
edited September 2010 in Road beginners
Sorry i know a thread like this has been posted at some point, but I can;t find it.
Went cycling today and the outside of my right knee started to hurt, especially up hills. It's never hurt before. I don't think I've changed anything. Any ideas as to what I can do. I am currently resting it and will give it another go later this week. It doesn't hurt to walk on it, but bending down to sit down I can feel the outside of the knee hurting. I can't say it was a big ride today, it was hilly, but nothing new.

Comments

• Shaun20
    Shaun20 Posts: 218
    Rest and go see a sports physio for the best advice. Your description is pretty vague put search ITB syndrome for some info on possible problem.
  • Hrun
    Hrun Posts: 116
    My knee hurts on bigger climbs if my cadence drops to low. But it stops after a few minutes at a higher cadence.
    A biking runner :)
  • a therapist i spoke to explained that often the root of the problem is nto in the knee itself but the supporting muscles/tendons. Try massaging your quads/hamstrings with some muscle rub paying particular attention to any spots which hurt.

+1 for the sports therapist though
  • evilollie
    evilollie Posts: 148
    Itb is a fav , google ITB & cycling then compare .
  • Could be it-band or possibly quad tip. Almost always a hip muscle imbalance. Check out these videos on the subject and try a few of the exercises suggested. http://cyclingphysio.com/?p=72

You should see a Physio too asap
    Good luck
  • have smae problem and it first started 12 months ago. It was apparantly due to doing to much too quick. Physio suggested it was weak inner quad and tight IT band. Go to physio before you do any more cycling and look for some stretches. One of the reasons my IT band got tight was due to me neglecting to stretch after rides.

:shock:

cheers LEE
  • Had exactly the same problem a few months ago on my first 80 miler. Did some research and found that it was the IT Band which runs down the outside of the knee. I cured it by simply ensuring that my right cleat allowed my foot to point straight forward - it had been pointing slightly inward and must have been stretching the IT Band more than necessary. This combined with the jump in distance caused the problem. I haven't felt a thing since.

Jim
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    ITB stretches sorted mine.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    Started riding more about a year ago and had some knee pains fairly early on. Always tried to back off and spin or rest/stop. Probably lasted about 4-6 weeks and after that I have been fine. I think it is one of those things where if you ride through it and ignore before muscle groups settle down it just gets worse
  • RDB66
    RDB66 Posts: 492
    Teach, I had the same problem a few months ago.

Raise your Seatpost 2 or 3mm....That cured mine.
    A Brother of the Wheel. http://www.boxfordbikeclub.co.uk

09 Canyon Ultimate CF for the Road.
    2011 Carbon Spesh Stumpy FSR.