saddle theft

dipdab
dipdab Posts: 13
edited August 2010 in Road buying advice
Anyone got any tips on preventing theft of saddle and seat post?

Comments

• pianoman
    pianoman Posts: 706
    Take it in the cafe with you? Choose a shocking pink one?

That really is unbelievable - can't believe that someone would get a kick of doing such a thing. Did you have to ride home standing up on the pedals?
  • dipdab
    dipdab Posts: 13
    LOL
    No - this has not happened to me (yet) but have seen others riding home without saddle. You also often see saddle-less bikes in street racks in London - not sure if owners being cautious or if scum have nicked them.
  • pianoman
    pianoman Posts: 706
    Maybe it's the fixies trying to save yet more weight - or people sabotaging their mates for when it's time to sprint for a traffic light :P

Actually I was thinking about the idea of colours for saddles and seatposts. When a motorist is viewing a roadie from behind the first thing he will see that could easily be made available in fluoro colours, is the saddle and seatpost. Surely there's a gap in the market for a colourful range? If we can have coloured stripes on tyres, why not coloured saddles and posts? I don't see many cyclists in yellow shorts..........
  • Robert456
    Robert456 Posts: 103
    I used to remove the saddle of MTB's with quick release clamps, you kind of hope that your average theif isn't carrying a set of alan keys when it comes to road bikes! Maybe all these saddle's bike are people trying to make them less atractive to theif's, like taking the front wheel with you when leaving the bike.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    A fluo saddle isnt going to be very visible - cos the cyclists bum is over it. Even if they are out of the saddle - its a small area - ditto with the seatpost.

Yellow shorts have a habit of going seethrough in rain <shudder>.

Whats wrong with a bright jersey anyway - you must be a contortionist if the jersey isnt the most visible thing from behind ?

Really dont think saddle theft is a big risk. Obviously dont use QR bolts and it will be safe.
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    I just bought a couple of Abus locks and I'll put them through seat stays and the saddle rails when I go into higher risk areas. They're not QR. When you've got a Brooks Swallow Ti...bit of value there.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • father_jack
    Turning a bike upside down to adjust the saddle seems a pain in the bum. no pun intended. Even though it protects the saddle from theft, think about it. Don't mind wheels because if I'm doing something to the wheels/brakes (and repairing tyres) I'll probably invert it. But to adjust saddle? No.
  • I suppose it depends on how frequently you move the saddle, I haven't moved mine in a year or so (even on the mtb) but I've replaced my qr's with clamps.

My son had his saddle and post nicked a while ago at the local cinema complex. When he approached a security guard about it the next day he was shown a stock of 15 or so and he was able to pick out his (I told him he should have looked out for a Fizik) - apparently the local scum remove them and chuck them into the nearest bush for a 'laugh'.
  • father_jack
    It'd remove it every now and then and re-grease. One of my bikes had seat post fused to the frame, as I never bothered to check :cry:
  • sam_m
    sam_m Posts: 61
    My mate uses a chain inside a bit of inner tube through the seatstays and saddle rails - adds a bit of weight, but saves his Brooks getting nicked.
  • It'd remove it every now and then and re-grease. One of my bikes had seat post fused to the frame, as I never bothered to check :cry:

I hadn't thought of that, that's a job for tomorrow.
  • huuregeil
    huuregeil Posts: 780
    Superglue a ball-bearing into the allen key head. If you need to adjust or take it off for repairs, acetone dissolves the stuff.
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    huuregeil wrote:
    Superglue a ball-bearing into the allen key head. If you need to adjust or take it off for repairs, acetone dissolves the stuff.

a great idea! :D
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I got a security skewer set for about a tenner for my son's bike at uni. Now you'd need a special shaped bit to remove either of the wheels or the seatpost