Best frame protection

Robert456
Robert456 Posts: 103
edited August 2010 in Workshop
Hi, just building up my freshly renovated frame, want to keep the paint loooking good. Which are the best frame protectors to stop the cables rubbing iinto the paint? I would like something that does the job but is also unobtrusive, preferably transparant (if that's possible). Another consideration is wether they will damage the paint when they are removed once they are knackered,
Many thanks

Comments

• gwillis
    gwillis Posts: 998
    google helicopter tape or ebay. Ive just returned from a cycling trip abroad and took my bike taping it up before I left. I did the usual places (fork legs, down tubes and crank arms) . The bike has come back perfect. The tape is clear and can be take off and replaced as you wish.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Another vote for helicopter tape. It's almost invisible, easy to apply and remove, lasts a long time, has a little bit of stretch so you can apply on odd contours and can be cut to any shape you like. Good for almost any surface you want to protect on your bike.
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    Foam pipe lagging
    UB005101.jpg:lol:
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • Robert456
    I'm going with the pipe lagging, I'll try and get that bmx look
  • tardyars
    tardyars Posts: 126
    Have a look at www.sportscover.se - they do various packs of frame protection strips that cover all the usual vulnerable areas of a bike frame. The strips/patches are transparent but pretty thick. The full pack has all sorts of different patches and strips in it. They are easily removeable and don't leave any marks (at least not so far- only had em on for a couple of months!) Only problem is that they aint as cheap as helicopter tape! Full pack was around £22 in my LBS. So,cheap no (Nor is my frame!) on balance though I reckon they are just about worth it. As my mum once said to me , the consequences of goin for a ride without protection dont bear thinkin about! Bless!
  • Robert456
    Thanks for the input, just ordered some tape from biketart, my main concern is to stop cable rub before it happens, although protecting the main tube's really appeals. Rear ends fine because it's chrome