Knee problem

slow turner
slow turner Posts: 58
edited September 2010 in Amateur race
Its been my first year of road cycle and for the last 2ish months ive had pains in my right knee, its been a slight pain when riding/ races but when i finish i can really feel it, now its got really bad and im going to see a physico on tuedays...

I think its to do with me turning hard gears alot of the time, is that right?
But is there any other reasons to do with set up/ positioning that could affect my knee

Or has anyone else had knee problems from cycling and overcome it somehow?

Thank yoou
Arran
Carpe Diem

Comments

• I've had it sometimes. Its normally been because I've been sitting on a different part of the saddle to what I normally do. Or even worse, I've moved the saddle. Virtually always position causing it unless you're riding around at a cadence of 60 :lol:
    The British Empire never died, it just moved to the Velodrome
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    I've still got that issue (since May). But it's manageable if I do plenty of stretching. Particularly my quads. I'm going to need to see the physio again. I think it's my IT band that's the root cause.

Does your hip get sore?
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • RDB66
    RDB66 Posts: 492
    Arran, try raising your seatpost 2or3mm and make sure your saddle is level.

This worked for me as i was getting pain on the outside of my right knee.
    A Brother of the Wheel. http://www.boxfordbikeclub.co.uk

09 Canyon Ultimate CF for the Road.
    2011 Carbon Spesh Stumpy FSR.
  • RDB66 wrote:
    Arran, try raising your seatpost 2or3mm and make sure your saddle is level.

This worked for me as i was getting pain on the outside of my right knee.

Okey will do, thank you for the advice sir

Arran
    Carpe Diem
  • lancejambo
    lancejambo Posts: 147
    hello i had massive dramas with the left so decided to take the hit and get a proper bike fit done cost 90 pound but now im back on the bike putting massive miles and hills best money i have spent. my cleats ,saddle hight and position were wrong and it got me faster as well.

i had the fit done at chelvin cycles in otley if your near their. its even worth a few house drive in my opinion
  • Arran - as a sufferer of long term knee problems (caused by pushing big gears in TT's), I can sympathize. I'm doing lots of stretching and am regularily going to an Osteopath. Your knee problem could be different to mine, but cycling can build up the muscles on the outside of your legs and start to pull your legs/feet out. This then puts you knee under stress, as it is trying to work against this muscle build up and you can start to wear you knee cap away slightly due to this. I'm having to try and build up the muscles up on the inside part of the knee, to try and correct this. I've decided to hang up my TT bike for the season and am riding around in my 39 chainring (the 53 is banned until at least March). Best of luck, but I would recommend spending some money and getting some advise (physio or osteopath). Best of luck.
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    Its been my first year of road cycle and for the last 2ish months ive had pains in my right knee, its been a slight pain when riding/ races but when i finish i can really feel it, now its got really bad and im going to see a physico on tuedays...

I think its to do with me turning hard gears alot of the time, is that right?
    But is there any other reasons to do with set up/ positioning that could affect my knee

Or has anyone else had knee problems from cycling and overcome it somehow?

Thank yoou
    Arran
    Before you follow anyone's advice on the forum make sure the symtoms you're describing are the same. http://www.cptips.com/knee.htm
  • Thanks for your replys people, ive just been to the physio and she said im "tight" i cant remember what exactly was tight but stuff to do with my hips part of it. she gave me some stretches to do for 3 weeks and i have faith in her, i am also trying to change my bad habbit of pushing big gears and am looking to get a bike fitting done too.

Thank you again

Arran
    Carpe Diem
  • I'd definitely get a proper bike fit done. It may cost a bit now, but much cheaper than further damage to knees and riding in (unnecessary) pain is no fun at all.